Challengicious Monday: Reduce Your Indoor Water Use

>> Monday, May 24, 2010

Mondays are challengicious at The Conscious Shopper. Here's your first water-related challenge:

Reduce Your Indoor Water Use


To complete this challenge, you can...

BABY STEPS
  • Fill up your dishwasher all the way before running it.
  • Conserve water when washing dishes by filling up both sides of the sink - one with hot water to wash in and one with lukewarm/cool water to rinse.
  • Only wash full loads of laundry. Also, fill up the washing machine to the appropriate level depending on the size of your load.
  • Keep a pitcher of water in the fridge for cold drinks rather than running the tap until it's cold.
  • Wash vegetables, fruits, and herbs in a bowl of water rather than running water. Use the collected water on your garden. You can also use cooled pasta water, potato water, and the water from steaming vegetables.
  • Plug the tub as soon as you turn the water on, and then adjust the temperature while the tub is filling.
JOGGING STRIDE
  • Take shorter showers. Shorten your shower time by not shaving in the shower or washing your hair every other day.
  • Use a refillable water bottle to cut down on the amount of glasses that need to be washed each day. Hopefully, you're already doing this.
  • Monitor your water bill to be on the watch for water leaks.
MARATHON RUNNER
  • Turn off the water in the shower while you lather up. Turn it back on to rinse.
  • Keep a bucket in the shower to catch warming-up water. Use it to flush the toilet.
  • Check your city codes to find out if you can re-route your plumbing to use grey water in your yard rather than sending it to the sewage plant.
  • Shower every other day.
If you've been a reader of The Conscious Shopper long enough to remember the post I Need...Water (indoors), you may remember that long showers are one of my eco-sins. I hate baths but have a weakness for very hot, very long showers. Trying to get myself to move faster in the morning was a total failure, but going no poo has helped me reduce my shower time on some days since I have less to do in there without washing my hair.

Another one of the challenges that I mean to work on is washing my fruits and veggies in a bowl of water rather than the sink. I've been concerned about our increased water use with the garden this year, and that would be one way to cut back a tiny bit.

The Marathon Runner challenges are pretty extreme, so don't feel down on yourself if you're just not ready to advance that far. I'll admit upfront that I dream of a grey water system but besides that my green side is a little lighter in this category.
____________________

You have hereby been challenged to go green in a year without going broke! Check out the last challenge, or view the whole list of Challengicious Mondays. Sign up for my RSS feed, follow me on Twitter, and join my "Go Green without Going Broke" group on Facebook!

2 comments:

Julia (Color Me Green) May 24, 2010 at 6:41 PM  

i like your "take a shower every other day" tip - i like long hot showers too, but i feel like it evens out because i often only take showers every 2-3 days.

Erin aka Conscious Shopper May 24, 2010 at 9:39 PM  

@Julia - Since going no poo, I've been trying to convince myself to do that. Somehow I don't feel properly awake unless I've had a shower, but I know it's all psychological.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Copyright

© 2008-2010 The Conscious Shopper

You're welcome to link to any posts at The Conscious Shopper, but please do not use images or content from this site without my permission. Contact me at consciousshopperblog@gmail.com.

Disclosure

I do not accept money for writing reviews, but I do accept products for review and to giveaway. When posting a review, I fully disclose any free samples received from the company. I include information provided by the company in my reviews, but all opinions about the product are my own and I will not provide a good review for any product or company just because they sent me some free samples.

Disclaimer

The ideas on this blog are my opinion and are provided for informational purposes and entertainment only. I am not a financial advisor or medical professional. Please do not misconstrue the information on this blog as advice.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP