>> Monday, May 24, 2010
Mondays are challengicious at The Conscious Shopper. Here's your first water-related challenge:
Reduce Your Indoor Water Use
To complete this challenge, you can...
- Fill up your dishwasher all the way before running it.
- Conserve water when washing dishes by filling up both sides of the sink - one with hot water to wash in and one with lukewarm/cool water to rinse.
- Only wash full loads of laundry. Also, fill up the washing machine to the appropriate level depending on the size of your load.
- Keep a pitcher of water in the fridge for cold drinks rather than running the tap until it's cold.
- Wash vegetables, fruits, and herbs in a bowl of water rather than running water. Use the collected water on your garden. You can also use cooled pasta water, potato water, and the water from steaming vegetables.
- Plug the tub as soon as you turn the water on, and then adjust the temperature while the tub is filling.
- Take shorter showers. Shorten your shower time by not shaving in the shower or washing your hair every other day.
- Use a refillable water bottle to cut down on the amount of glasses that need to be washed each day. Hopefully, you're already doing this.
- Monitor your water bill to be on the watch for water leaks.
- Turn off the water in the shower while you lather up. Turn it back on to rinse.
- Keep a bucket in the shower to catch warming-up water. Use it to flush the toilet.
- Check your city codes to find out if you can re-route your plumbing to use grey water in your yard rather than sending it to the sewage plant.
- Shower every other day.
Another one of the challenges that I mean to work on is washing my fruits and veggies in a bowl of water rather than the sink. I've been concerned about our increased water use with the garden this year, and that would be one way to cut back a tiny bit.
The Marathon Runner challenges are pretty extreme, so don't feel down on yourself if you're just not ready to advance that far. I'll admit upfront that I dream of a grey water system but besides that my green side is a little lighter in this category.
You have hereby been challenged to go green in a year without going broke! Check out the last challenge, or view the whole list of Challengicious Mondays. Sign up for my RSS feed, follow me on Twitter, and join my "Go Green without Going Broke" group on Facebook!
- image by stevendepolo