Challengicious Monday: Start Using a Reusable Water Bottle/Thermos

>> Monday, January 25, 2010

Mondays are challengicious at The Conscious Shopper. Here's your next trash-related challenge:

Start using a reusable water bottle/thermos


To complete this challenge, you can...

BABY STEPS
  • Use a reusable water bottle/thermos at work. The office is the perfect place to start this challenge because so many offices provide free coffee, filtered water...and styrofoam cups. A nice gesture, but you can do better. Bring your own mug or thermos to work for coffee and a mug or water bottle for water. (This challenge is based on the assumption that you're using reusable glasses at home. If not, start there!)
JOGGING STRIDE
  • Break up with bottled water. Bottled water is expensive and comes in disposable plastic packaging that could be leaching into your water. Plus, filtered tap water is just as clean as bottled water (in many cases, bottled water is just tap water with fancy packaging). Save money, save resources, avoid toxins...Avoiding bottled water is a Conscious Shopper no-brainer.
MARATHON RUNNER
  • Use your own water bottle/thermos at restaurants. Once you've got the hang of reusing at home and work, it's time to take your new habit out into the world. When you go to a restaurant that uses disposable cups, ask them to put your beverage in your own water bottle or thermos.
I say water bottle or thermos throughout this post, but really the focus is on switching from a single-use product (such as a styrofoam cup) or single-use packaging (such as a water or soda bottle) to a product that is reusable and long-lasting, whether that's a stainless steel water bottle, a thermos, a mug, a glass jar, or even just a glass from your kitchen cupboard.

I debated over which challenge to make the Jogging Stride and which to make the Marathon Runner, and ultimately I think it depends on what's hardest for you. I never got into a bottled water habit, so it wasn't hard for me to give up, though it might be for some people. On the other hand, I'm still working on being brave enough for "public displays of eco-affection," so asking the Starbucks barista to put my hot chocolate in the thermos I brought is a challenge for me. What do you think?

Will you take the challenge?
____________________

You have hereby been challenged to go green in a year without going broke! Check out the last challenge, or view the whole list of Challengicious Mondays.

Like what you see? Sign up for my RSS feed, follow me on Twitter, and join my "Go Green without Going Broke" group on Facebook! You can also find me over at The Green Phone Booth.

7 comments:

cpcable January 25, 2010 at 12:47 PM  

I agree with your final thoughts...giving up bottled water was very easy for me (I love my Klean Kanteen!), but I hate making people "go out of their way" for me. So, even though I know it's not a huge burden for someone to put my coffee in my mug rather than their disposable cup, I feel like it is. That's been tough for me to get over.
-Courtney
alifesustained.blogspot.com

Lisa Sharp January 25, 2010 at 1:15 PM  

I never drank much bottled water, only when away from home. I have given all of it up for a couple years now. I have a few water bottles (Klean Kanteen, Earthlust and a few other stainless steel bottles) and reusable mugs for tea. :)

DramaMama January 25, 2010 at 8:53 PM  

We're already there! The only trouble we run into is when we ask to fill our 'kanteens' at restaurants, some have regulations against it. Mostly I drink water, so I don't really get why they can't just fill it w/water, but whatever. I just ask for the bubbler! (Or water fountain for those that don't live in my region =)!)

Erin aka Conscious Shopper January 25, 2010 at 8:59 PM  

@cpcable - Yes, exactly. And I'm afraid they'll say no, which is so silly because even if they say no, at least I tried. I'm working on getting over that.

@Lisa - Oooh, Earthlust water bottles are so pretty.

@DramaMama - Yeah, I started with some easier challenges that I knew a lot of people would have already done so we can work our way up to the harder stuff. Good for you for having this challenge done already!

cpcable January 25, 2010 at 11:19 PM  

Ha! I've never heard it called a "bubbler" before! That's amazing and I'm totally going to steal it. :)
-Courtney

Condo Blues January 26, 2010 at 1:20 AM  

I don't ask a restaurant to put my drink in my reusable water but I do bring a travel mug with me to the coffee shop. It keeps my coffee warmer longer (a big plus during the winter!) and some places will give you a discount or extra punch on the frequent buyer card. At this point most of our coffee shops expect/ask because it's common.

We're into the reusable water bottle habit too. Even my dog has his own BPA free water bottle with a dog dish attached for the dog park!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Copyright

© 2008-2010 The Conscious Shopper

You're welcome to link to any posts at The Conscious Shopper, but please do not use images or content from this site without my permission. Contact me at consciousshopperblog@gmail.com.

Disclosure

I do not accept money for writing reviews, but I do accept products for review and to giveaway. When posting a review, I fully disclose any free samples received from the company. I include information provided by the company in my reviews, but all opinions about the product are my own and I will not provide a good review for any product or company just because they sent me some free samples.

Disclaimer

The ideas on this blog are my opinion and are provided for informational purposes and entertainment only. I am not a financial advisor or medical professional. Please do not misconstrue the information on this blog as advice.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP