Make Your Own: Sea Salt Scrub

>> Monday, February 2, 2009

A friend of mine gave me a jar of some fancy sea salt scrub after Third Son was born, and I looooved how silky smooth my skin felt when I used it. But I did not love the price tag (about $20 for a 16 oz. container).

The homemade version is significantly cheaper than the kind my friend gave me, but it's still not super cheap (about $5 by my calculations for 1 cup sea salt plus 1/2 cup olive oil). This is more of an indulge yourself kind of recipe, and would also make great gifts.


The basic recipe is 2 parts sea salt to 1 part oil plus 20-30 drops of essential oil. Combine all ingredients and mix well. Store in a glass jar with a lid.

To use, scoop a small amount into your hand and gently rub onto your body. Rinse in the shower or bath.

Use whatever kind of oil is best for your skin type. Some good choices are olive oil, grapeseed oil, and almond oil. The essential oils are mostly for scent, so use whatever combination you like. Lavender is a good choice because of its relaxing quality.

Here are some sample formulations:

Body Polish recipes from Eden Foods

Salt and Sugar Scrubs

4 comments:

Going Green Mama February 3, 2009 at 3:21 PM  

I ended up making my own sugar scrub after the holidays using leftover candy canes. But I will have to try these recipes as well!

If you store your mixes dry and add your oils later, you can prevent them from going rancid before you use them.

Erin aka Conscious Shopper February 3, 2009 at 8:11 PM  

Going Green Mama - Several years ago, a friend gave me some homemade sugar scrub for Christmas. I had never heard of such a thing before, and the idea of using sugar and oil to clean just seemed so off the wall that I never used it. Eventually, it went bad and I dumped it in the trash. Funny how we change! Your candy cane sugar scrub sounds terrific. I'm going to try it next time I have candy canes. Mint is my alltime favorite scent.

Saurabi January 19, 2011 at 9:47 AM  

This is a good advice for a cookers, thanks for sharing.

Rusty,  March 14, 2012 at 12:34 PM  

I'm anxious to try the sea salt scrub. Heard it was excellent relief for cancer patients.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Copyright

© 2008-2010 The Conscious Shopper

You're welcome to link to any posts at The Conscious Shopper, but please do not use images or content from this site without my permission. Contact me at consciousshopperblog@gmail.com.

Disclosure

I do not accept money for writing reviews, but I do accept products for review and to giveaway. When posting a review, I fully disclose any free samples received from the company. I include information provided by the company in my reviews, but all opinions about the product are my own and I will not provide a good review for any product or company just because they sent me some free samples.

Disclaimer

The ideas on this blog are my opinion and are provided for informational purposes and entertainment only. I am not a financial advisor or medical professional. Please do not misconstrue the information on this blog as advice.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP