>> Tuesday, May 25, 2010
We've talked a lot this year about reducing our trash by switching from disposables to reusable products. As I've mentioned, I was recently invited to become an ambassador for Reuseit.com to continue promoting a lifestyle of reuse. Before I signed on for this, I put a lot of thought into whether or not Reuseit.com is a brand I want my name attached to, and I spent several hours perusing their site. Here's what I found:
Reuseit.com began in 2003 as Reusablebags.com, offering high quality cloth shopping bags to help people move away from disposable plastic grocery bags. Their product line quickly expanded to reusables in general and now includes bottles, lunchbags, cloth towels, toothbrushes, Diva Cups, and much more. They are a leader in their industry and have established themselves as a go-to source for information on reducing consumption of disposable products.
In case you missed my past posts on Reuseit.com, here are a few of their products that I bought recently:
What makes Reuseit.com a great company?
- According to their website, Reuseit.com strives "as a company to continually reduce our eco impact. We consciously reduce the amount of packaging it takes to get your order to you with no damage whatsoever to items. Our boxes are made with 40-60% recycled content and we always choose the smallest one for each order. Whenever possible, we opt for envelopes over boxes we’ve replaced bubble wrap with recycled paper packaging. All packaging we use is recyclable and we never use those nasty packing peanuts"
- Reuseit.com seeks out high quality materials and sustainable fabrics, both for their own line of shopping bags and for the other products in their store. To answer concerns some of their customers have had, they've written FAQ pages on BPA, lead, and synthetic materials that I think are worth perusing. They also provide a Materials Glossary as a guide to some of the sustainable materials and fabrics used in products they carry.
- Reuseit.com manufactures their own ACME bag line in accordance with Fair Labor/Fair Trade practices and they seek to carry products that were also manufactured fairly.
- Reuseit.com was awarded Green America's People's Choice Award in 2007 and 2009 and was a top 10 nominee in 2006. Green America is one of my favorite organizations and holds very high standards for companies in their network.
- Reuseit.com was also a BizRate Circle of Excellence Gold Honoree for customer satisfaction and is a member of 1% for the Planet.
- Reuseit.com's products range in affordability, but they make it easy for you to shop in your price range by enabling you to search by price or sales.
- Reuseit.com is an online store. Check out their FAQ on Why E-commerce is Eco-Friendly.
- Tell me one (or more!) products in Reuseit.com's store that you'd love to own.
- You can earn up to two extra entries by sharing this post on Facebook or tweeting it on Twitter and then leaving a comment for each thing that you do. This is completely based on the honor system, and remember that each comment is a separate entry.
This contest has ended. The winner was Abbie - congratulations!
You have hereby been challenged to go green in a year without going broke! Check out the last challenge, or view the whole list of Challengicious Mondays. Sign up for my RSS feed, follow me on Twitter, and join my "Go Green without Going Broke" group on Facebook!