>> Monday, May 31, 2010
Mondays are challengicious at The Conscious Shopper. Like last week's water-related challenge, this week I'm challenging you to:
Reduce Your Indoor Water Use
To complete this challenge, you can...
- Defrost food in the refrigerator rather than under running water.
- Turn off the water while brushing your teeth and shaving.
- Don't rinse your dishes before putting them in the dishwasher. Wipe them off with a dishrag or use the method I describe here.
- Reuse your towels multiple times to avoid creating extra laundry. Also wear your clothes more than once (not underwear).
- Don't use the toilet as a trash can.
- Take baths family style - i.e., Mommy and baby, Mommy and Daddy, small kids together.
- Compost vegetable scraps instead of using the garbage disposal.
- Replace showerheads with low-flow varieties and install aerators in your faucets.
- Upgrade your toilet to a more efficient model, put a bottle of water in the tank, or install a dual-flush system.
- If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down.
- Consider a compostable toilet.
- Pee on your garden.
I'm happy to report that after looking back over today's challenge and last week's, I'm doing better on water conservation than I thought. It's nice to sometimes get a pat-yourself-on-the-back week.
You have hereby been challenged to go green in a year without going broke! Check out the last challenge, or view the whole list of Challengicious Mondays. Sign up for my RSS feed, follow me on Twitter, and join my "Go Green without Going Broke" group on Facebook!
- image by Joe Shlabotnik