May Budget Round-Up

>> Tuesday, June 1, 2010

This is a good month. Not only are we under budget, but we're also down one more trash bag this month. Hopefully we can keep that up!

One big change, though...I was given a new responsibility at church - I'm now working with the youth, which means that I have to be at church on Wednesday nights as well as Sundays and will also be driving a lot for youth conferences, dances, camping trips, etc. Our church is 10 miles from our house, and our going there is non-negotiable (in case anyone was going to suggest switching churches), so I'm going to look for opportunities to carpool and other ways to keep my mileage down - like switching to a closer doctor and stores.

In case anyone is wondering how we did with the May extreme challenge - we did it!!! I turned on the A/C maybe four times: twice when it was just too hot to sleep and twice when we had company over. The heat is still off today, and we might be able to go longer - if I can convince my husband to quit closing the windows at night. (He says that the outdoor noise bothers him.)


Monthly Spending (budgeted amount) [year average]

  • Groceries: $623 ($650) [708.75]
  • Transportation: $167 ($150) [149.87]
  • Energy: $82 ($150) [151.45]
  • Utilities: $46 ($50) [44.96]
  • Entertainment/Miscellaneous: $365 ($400) [362.71]
  • Clothes: $0 (no set budget) [22.94]
  • TOTAL: $1,283 ($1,400) [$1417.52]

The Numbers:
  • Trash: 3 bags of trash (13 gallon bags); 1 recycling bin with plastic, metal, and glass; 1 paper grocery sacks of paper
  • Miles Driven: 1012
  • Average daily electricity use: 21 kWh
  • Average daily water use: 122 gallons

Best of...

Next Month I'll Be...
  • reading Raising Financially Fit Kids
  • working on water use for The Conscious Shopper Challenge
  • buying nothing new for the June Extreme Challenge
  • taking some vacations!
____________________

You have hereby been challenged to go green in a year without going broke! Check out the last challenge, or view the whole list of Challengicious Mondays. Sign up for my RSS feed, follow me on Twitter, and join my "Go Green without Going Broke" group on Facebook!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Copyright

© 2008-2010 The Conscious Shopper

You're welcome to link to any posts at The Conscious Shopper, but please do not use images or content from this site without my permission. Contact me at consciousshopperblog@gmail.com.

Disclosure

I do not accept money for writing reviews, but I do accept products for review and to giveaway. When posting a review, I fully disclose any free samples received from the company. I include information provided by the company in my reviews, but all opinions about the product are my own and I will not provide a good review for any product or company just because they sent me some free samples.

Disclaimer

The ideas on this blog are my opinion and are provided for informational purposes and entertainment only. I am not a financial advisor or medical professional. Please do not misconstrue the information on this blog as advice.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP