March Extreme Challenge

>> Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Here's your extreme challenge for March:

Give Up Disposable Paper Products


If you've been working on greening your paper products since the challenge a couple weeks ago, now's your chance to push yourself to find your sweet spot.

You can take this challenge as extreme as you want, but here are a few suggestions:
  • Replace paper napkins with cloth napkins.
  • Clean with rags instead of paper towels.
  • Use kitchen towels, washcloths, and sponges in the kitchen instead of paper towels.
  • Use cloth bags instead of wrapping paper to wrap gifts.
  • Switch to handkerchiefs instead of facial tissue.
  • Try cloth wipes instead of toilet paper.
For one month, see how far you can go. Just make sure you:

Make a plan.
Write it down.
Post it somewhere you'll see it.


Here's what my family will be doing:

After last month's super extreme challenge, I think we're going to take it relatively easy this month. No paper napkins, paper towels, or facial tissue, and if we have any need to give gifts this month, I think I can commit to cloth. I might do cloth wipes sporadically, but I'm not going to force it on the rest of my family.

I think the biggest challenge here will be our spring break vacation later this month. We'll see how it goes!

Will you accept the March Extreme Challenge to give up disposable paper products for a month? Let me know in the comments what your family will be doing.
____________________

You have hereby been challenged to go green in a year without going broke! Check out the last challenge, or view the whole list of Challengicious Mondays.

Like what you see? Sign up for my RSS feed, follow me on Twitter, and join my "Go Green without Going Broke" group on Facebook! You can also find me over at The Green Phone Booth.

5 comments:

The Mom March 2, 2010 at 8:03 AM  

This is something I've been working on for a while. We already don't use paper towels or napkins and grocery bags are cloth as well. I'm still working up the nerve to use the produce bags. This week I'll be making a few gift bags from some fabric I have lying around. I think I'm also going to make some rags for the bathroom. I'm not sure why this one freaks me out. I've used mama cloth and a diva cup for years, cloth tp should be a no brainer.

cpcable March 2, 2010 at 1:07 PM  

Challenge accepted! We've already given up paper towels, paper napkins, and facial tissues. I've been wanting to try family cloths for awhile and I need to just do it. So, my goal for the end of the week is to cut up some old t-shirts and make some. But it will probably just be me that's participating. ;)
-Courtney

Wonder-ful March 2, 2010 at 9:20 PM  

I've banned the paper towels from the bathrooms (greatly reducing the number of rolls we go through).
Now that the almond orchards are in bloom, I'm in great need for the hankie! I'm thinking I'm going to have to make a few to hold me over. It really is the only time of year I use kleenex.
And as for the kitchen, I've been keeping a hand towel to dry hands, one for cleaning counters. It covers the basics and anything more than that we just go get another towel from the drawer.
Not sure about cloth tp, but I'm willing to give the not-quite-Luna Pads another go.

Heather@TheGreenestDollar March 4, 2010 at 1:07 PM  

This is so timely! I just decided to do this yesterday (giving up TP) and was online researching strategies to set up my bathroom for reusable wipes (and what to use).

I've already given up paper napkins and paper towels, so this was the "last frontier"!

Glad to know I'm not the only one out there! :)

Erin aka Conscious Shopper March 4, 2010 at 3:09 PM  

@Heather - Family cloth is the final frontier for me too. We've always used cloth wet wipes on our kids - it's us grown-ups that are holding out.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Copyright

© 2008-2010 The Conscious Shopper

You're welcome to link to any posts at The Conscious Shopper, but please do not use images or content from this site without my permission. Contact me at consciousshopperblog@gmail.com.

Disclosure

I do not accept money for writing reviews, but I do accept products for review and to giveaway. When posting a review, I fully disclose any free samples received from the company. I include information provided by the company in my reviews, but all opinions about the product are my own and I will not provide a good review for any product or company just because they sent me some free samples.

Disclaimer

The ideas on this blog are my opinion and are provided for informational purposes and entertainment only. I am not a financial advisor or medical professional. Please do not misconstrue the information on this blog as advice.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP