Challengicious Monday: Reduce Packaging

>> Monday, March 1, 2010

Mondays are challengicious at The Conscious Shopper. Here's your next trash-related challenge:

Reduce Packaging

To complete this challenge, you can...

BABY STEPS
  • Buy concentrated products. The main ingredient in many products is water. Choose concentrated products and add your own water. You'll save packaging and money.
  • Buy products in bulk. Choose the largest size you can whenever you can.
JOGGING STRIDE
  • Eat fresh foods. Choose fresh over canned or frozen when possible, stick to the outer perimeter of the grocery store, and get to know your farmer's market.
  • Limit individually packaged foods. I think this one's self-explanatory.
MARATHON RUNNER
  • Buy from the bulk bins. Check your local health and natural foods stores for a bulk bin section, where you can bring your own containers to buy as much or as little as you need.
  • Choose used over new. Buying used not only means no packaging, but it can give many products one more life before they head to the landfill.
As always, my perspective of the difficulty level of these steps may be different from yours. It was pretty easy for me to stop buying cheese sticks - much harder for me to work up the courage to use my own bags at the bulk bins. You might love thrift stores but have no idea how to cook a carrot. Work at your own level and to fit your own circumstances.

For more information about reducing packaging, check out:

Will you take the challenge?
____________________

You have hereby been challenged to go green in a year without going broke! Check out the last challenge, or view the whole list of Challengicious Mondays.

Like what you see? Sign up for my RSS feed, follow me on Twitter, and join my "Go Green without Going Broke" group on Facebook! You can also find me over at The Green Phone Booth.

4 comments:

The Raven March 1, 2010 at 9:00 AM  

You have a knack for cristallizing whatever I've been mulling about casually as I try to imagine my next personal month-long challenge. I think this may be exactly it for April. Thanks.

Wonder-ful March 1, 2010 at 10:21 AM  

We've been slowly working on this, eliminating our individually packaged frozen meals and switching to concentrated or homemade cleaners when the old ones run out (the shelf above the washer never looked so... organized!)

We're pretty stocked up on necessities, so while we use those up I'm looking for things with less packaging to get once we run out.

Brenda Pike March 1, 2010 at 2:31 PM  

What do you use for containers at the bulk bins? You mentioned once before that you were going to use reusable drawstring produce bags, but at my store, at least, they don't let you use anything that's not clear—they want to actually be able to see what you're getting. Do you have that problem?

Erin aka Conscious Shopper March 1, 2010 at 10:26 PM  

@The Raven - Thanks! What are you doing for March?

@Wonder-ful - This is definitely one that takes time. Packaging is everywhere!

@Brenda - My bags are sheer, but I do have to say that the first time I asked about using my own bags, they told me I couldn't. It was just because that particular store employee didn't know. I've never had any trouble since then. Could you use glass jars? Some stores let you weigh them before filling them and then deduct the weight from the price.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Copyright

© 2008-2010 The Conscious Shopper

You're welcome to link to any posts at The Conscious Shopper, but please do not use images or content from this site without my permission. Contact me at consciousshopperblog@gmail.com.

Disclosure

I do not accept money for writing reviews, but I do accept products for review and to giveaway. When posting a review, I fully disclose any free samples received from the company. I include information provided by the company in my reviews, but all opinions about the product are my own and I will not provide a good review for any product or company just because they sent me some free samples.

Disclaimer

The ideas on this blog are my opinion and are provided for informational purposes and entertainment only. I am not a financial advisor or medical professional. Please do not misconstrue the information on this blog as advice.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP