>> Monday, March 1, 2010
Mondays are challengicious at The Conscious Shopper. Here's your next trash-related challenge:
To complete this challenge, you can...
- Buy concentrated products. The main ingredient in many products is water. Choose concentrated products and add your own water. You'll save packaging and money.
- Buy products in bulk. Choose the largest size you can whenever you can.
- Eat fresh foods. Choose fresh over canned or frozen when possible, stick to the outer perimeter of the grocery store, and get to know your farmer's market.
- Limit individually packaged foods. I think this one's self-explanatory.
- Buy from the bulk bins. Check your local health and natural foods stores for a bulk bin section, where you can bring your own containers to buy as much or as little as you need.
- Choose used over new. Buying used not only means no packaging, but it can give many products one more life before they head to the landfill.
For more information about reducing packaging, check out:
- Save Money and Plastic with Bulk Bins
- Plastic Primer, Part 2: Solutions (Sort of...)
- My Response to Fake Plastic Fish: What Is Plastic Good For?
Will you take the challenge?
You have hereby been challenged to go green in a year without going broke! Check out the last challenge, or view the whole list of Challengicious Mondays.
Like what you see? Sign up for my RSS feed, follow me on Twitter, and join my "Go Green without Going Broke" group on Facebook! You can also find me over at The Green Phone Booth.