Great Snack Experiment: Non-Animal Crackers and Granola Bars

>> Sunday, March 7, 2010

Aldi has the best animal crackers in the whole world. Normally, I don't snack during the day, but sometimes I can't help myself with Aldi's animal crackers. So in my attempt to make all of our food from scratch last month, one of the first recipes I went looking for was an animal cracker recipe.

I was inspired by this recipe for Animal Cracker Cookies from 101 Cookbooks. In a dream world, I would also own those animal cookie cutters from Williams and Sonoma, but in reality, I am both too cheap and too lazy to bother shaping the crackers into animal shapes. So we call them Non-Animal Crackers. Of all the cracker recipes I tried this month, these are the only ones my kids have requested that I make again. That should give you a pretty good indication of their tastiness.

Non-Animal Crackers


MAKES: 2 dozen cookies
COST: $2.99 with coconut oil ($2.25 with butter)*

1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup walnuts (ground in a food processor or chopped very fine)
1/2 cup unsweetened finely shredded coconut (also ground in a food processor or chopped very fine)
1/4 cup extra-virgin coconut oil, softened (butter can be substituted, but will affect the taste)
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • In a medium bowl, cream together the coconut oil, sugar, and salt. Beat in the egg.
  • In a separate bowl, mix the flour, walnuts, and coconut.
  • Add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture.
  • Knead the dough a couple times until it forms a ball.
  • Divide the ball in half, wrap tightly, and refrigerate for at least an hour.
  • Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  • The original recipe suggests lining your baking sheets with parchment paper. Since I don't have parchment paper, I just greased my pans, and I didn't have a problem with sticking. But if you have parchment paper, you might as well use it.
  • Roll each ball of dough out until it is 1/8 inch thick. Cut into cracker shapes (or animal shapes if you're adventurous) and place on baking sheets.
  • Bake 7 or 8 minutes until lightly browned at the edges.

I packed the non-animal crackers in Third Son's lunch for church (our congregation meets at a strange time). His nursery leader snuck a bite, and then emailed me for the recipe. In exchange, she sent me the following recipe for granola bars, which have been a huge hit around here:

Granola Bars


MAKES: 2 dozen
COST: $4.50 before adding extra goodies*

3 1/2 cups folled oats
1 cup Rice Krispies (or other cereal, or just more oats)
1 cup wheat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup honey
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup extra goodies of your choice (raisins, dried apples, chocolate chips, etc.)
  • Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 9 X 13 inch dish.
  • In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except chocolate chips. Then stir in the chocolate chips, if using.
  • Firmly press mixture into the prepared pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 18 to 22 minutes or until golden brown.
  • Let cool for 10 minutes, then cut into bars. Let bars cool completely before removing from the pan.
*Note that all costs are estimates based on prices in my area and that I use organic ingredients whenever possible. Your costs may vary.


This post stems from my experiment in February to stop buying store-bought crackers and make my own snacks from scratch. For other snack ideas, check out Parmesan Crackers and Pretzels and Bagels and Breadsticks Oh My!

____________________

You have hereby been challenged to go green in a year without going broke! Check out the last challenge, or view the whole list of Challengicious Mondays. Sign up for my RSS feed, follow me on Twitter, and join my "Go Green without Going Broke" group on Facebook!

3 comments:

Lina March 9, 2010 at 10:15 PM  

Ooh, these look fun, I'm totally trying them. I recently tried the granola bars from smitten kitchen (http://smittenkitchen.com/2010/02/thick-chewy-granola-bars/) and they were good but too crumbly.

Have you ever made graham crackers? That's the other thing I want to try but haven't gotten up the gumption to try yet.

Erin aka Conscious Shopper March 10, 2010 at 8:07 PM  

@Lina - These granola bars held together well for me the first time, but the second time I made them, a few were crumbly. I think I didn't press them into the pan well enough in some spots or maybe should have cooked them a couple minutes longer. My kids like them a lot.

I tried graham crackers once a year ago, and no one in my family would eat them. I should try them again with a different recipe. Let me know if you find a good one!

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam March 11, 2010 at 9:12 AM  

I was just going to make home made granola bars. I am going to have to see how our recipes differ ...maybe I can combine the two. Mine doesn't have rice krispies but I love that addition. :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Copyright

© 2008-2010 The Conscious Shopper

You're welcome to link to any posts at The Conscious Shopper, but please do not use images or content from this site without my permission. Contact me at consciousshopperblog@gmail.com.

Disclosure

I do not accept money for writing reviews, but I do accept products for review and to giveaway. When posting a review, I fully disclose any free samples received from the company. I include information provided by the company in my reviews, but all opinions about the product are my own and I will not provide a good review for any product or company just because they sent me some free samples.

Disclaimer

The ideas on this blog are my opinion and are provided for informational purposes and entertainment only. I am not a financial advisor or medical professional. Please do not misconstrue the information on this blog as advice.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP