My Personal Care Products

>> Tuesday, February 16, 2010

I think it's helpful when you're first starting out on your green journey to know what products other people have chosen to use. So even though I don't feel like I'm the best example to follow, here are the products I've been using, and I hope you'll add in the comments what non-toxic or less toxic personal care and beauty products you're using.


Shampoo: Lush Karma Komba shampoo bar

Conditioner: Lush Jungle conditioner bar

Soap: Sappo Hill or Dr. Bronners

Deodorant: Crystal

Toothpaste:
Tom's of Maine Clean and Gentle Care SLS-Free toothpaste

Toothbrush:
Preserve recyclable toothbrush

Facial soap:
coconut oil

Facial toner: diluted apple cider vinegar

Facial lotion: basic glycerin formula with grapeseed oil

Hand and body lotion: basic glycerin formula with avocado oil

Makeup: I've been using Physician's Formula Organic Wear makeup since last fall. I'm not super happy with it.

Razor:
I use a Venus razor and dry my blades between uses, enabling me to change the blade about once every six months. For shaving cream, I use soap.

Feminine products: Keeper menstrual cup

Did I leave anything out? What do you use?

____________________

You have hereby been challenged to go green in a year without going broke! Check out the last challenge, or view the whole list of Challengicious Mondays.

Like what you see? Sign up for my RSS feed, follow me on Twitter, and join my "Go Green without Going Broke" group on Facebook! You can also find me over at The Green Phone Booth.

11 comments:

Natasha February 16, 2010 at 1:48 AM  

Your blades can actually last that long??? I would have to say that is probably my greatest personal care expense. How does drying between uses help?

Erin aka Conscious Shopper February 16, 2010 at 8:51 AM  

@Natasha - I got the idea from a guy on a radio show who used a disposable razor for a year by drying it between uses. Drying prevents the blade from getting rusty, which is the main reason razor blades get dull. I also only shave my legs once or twice a week, so that helps too.

Cherie February 16, 2010 at 11:46 AM  

Great list - I'll have to look into some of the items. I have shampoo bars but haven't seen conditioner bars. I used to use all natural cosmetics (mainly Ecco Bella) but have slowly strayed. As I use up what I have, I'll be looking into replacing with green products again.

Lisa Sharp February 16, 2010 at 12:14 PM  

Erin try Everyday Minerals for makeup! I LOVE IT! I have gotten a ton of people hooked on it, even people who don't care about using natural products.

mudnessa February 16, 2010 at 4:30 PM  

Love your list. I'm intrigued by the conditioner bar, I will be looking into that. Why don't you like the organic wear makeup, just curious.

KaKi February 16, 2010 at 4:45 PM  

Erin, you are changing my life. Seriously. You are making me look at my world through new eyes. Examples: (1) I have a runny nose and today I went and got a hanky from hubby's drawer. (2) Starting to take cloth bags to all stores, not just grocery store (the thrift store) (3) sat in front of a shelf at the TJ's today and wondered, "What would Erin buy?" Thank you! Thank you for getting in my head and making me question my choices. Today's list .......well let's just say I'm not even on that list. I don't do ANY of that!!!!

Erin aka Conscious Shopper February 16, 2010 at 4:45 PM  

@mudnessa - Normally I wear foundation but no powder, but with this foundation, I have to wear powder or I look shiny. Also, I have to coat on the blush before I feel like it's visible. Minor things. Mostly it's just that I feel like I could do better.

Lina February 16, 2010 at 9:28 PM  

On the hand lotion, I'm allergic to avocado (weird and sad I'm told by people who love avocado) so I'm leery of that oil - do you think the grapeseed would work as well for that as well? Or do you have any suggestions for another oil to add? Thanks so much, this has been one of things I have not been able to get under control and my hands are crazy dry in the winter. And then what do you keep it in to dispense?

Great post, very helpful!

Erin aka Conscious Shopper February 16, 2010 at 10:24 PM  

@Lina - Grapeseed oil is a fairly neutral oil, which is why I use it on my face. If you have very dry skin, it might not be rich enough. In general, avocado, apricot kernel, and almond are best for dry skin, and jojoba, grapeseed and sesame are good for oily skin. It's a good idea to experiment with different oils and see what your skin likes best. I keep my lotion in thrifted soap pumps.

Brenda Pike February 25, 2010 at 9:32 PM  

I just started wearing makeup, and the first line I tried is bareMinerals. I'm actually liking it a lot. But I know next to nothing about makeup, so I need all the suggestions I can get. I'll keep Everyday Minerals and Physicians Formula in mind for the future.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Copyright

© 2008-2010 The Conscious Shopper

You're welcome to link to any posts at The Conscious Shopper, but please do not use images or content from this site without my permission. Contact me at consciousshopperblog@gmail.com.

Disclosure

I do not accept money for writing reviews, but I do accept products for review and to giveaway. When posting a review, I fully disclose any free samples received from the company. I include information provided by the company in my reviews, but all opinions about the product are my own and I will not provide a good review for any product or company just because they sent me some free samples.

Disclaimer

The ideas on this blog are my opinion and are provided for informational purposes and entertainment only. I am not a financial advisor or medical professional. Please do not misconstrue the information on this blog as advice.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP