>> Monday, February 15, 2010
Mondays are challengicious at The Conscious Shopper. Here's your next trash-related challenge:
Go Green in the Bathroom
To complete this challenge, you can...
- Use fewer personal care products. Think about your morning routine. How many products do you use? Do you really need that many? If you can leave something out, then do it.
- Avoid the Dirty Dozen. These are the ingredients that have been most commonly linked to health problems.
- Switch to products that score low on the Skin Deep Guide, the Environmental Working Group's cosmetic safety database. They have tested thousands of products for toxicity and rank them on a 0-10 scale, with 0 being the best and 10 being the worst. Even some products labeled as "natural" rank high on the scale, so it's important to check out all products before you buy.
And I'm putting those products on my face (and hair and mouth and eyes and all my other 2000 parts)? And the 2000 parts of my babies?
A quick look at some recent posts indicates that I'm struggling a bit in this area because it is SO HARD to find personal care products that meet all aspects of my criteria: non-toxic, affordable, and actually work. But I'm doing my best with what I can find and afford, so come back tomorrow to read more about what I've been using.
Like the green your household cleaners challenge, I stuck this challenge with the trash challenges because it didn't fit anywhere else, but it's not going to have an effect on your trash unless you make specific changes: using fewer, buying in bulk, buying concentrate, or making your own. Switching to a menstrual cup and using a safety razor are also good ways to decrease your trash production. And of course, by being more conscious about your personal care products, you avoid putting toxic chemicals into your body, water supply, and the environment.
For more specific information about how and why you should green your bathroom routine, check out:
- I Need...Personal Care Products
- I Need...Smooth Legs
- I Need...A Happy Period
- I Need...Deodorant
- I Need...Beautiful Hair
- I Need...Makeup
- Make Your Own: Body Lotion
- Make Your Own: Sea Salt Scrub
- Love Love Kiss Kiss Blah Blah Blah (for facial cleaner, toner, steam, mask, and moisturizing lotion)
Will you take the challenge?
You have hereby been challenged to go green in a year without going broke! Check out the last challenge, or view the whole list of Challengicious Mondays.
Like what you see? Sign up for my RSS feed, follow me on Twitter, and join my "Go Green without Going Broke" group on Facebook! You can also find me over at The Green Phone Booth.
- image by ali edwards