>> Monday, April 26, 2010
Mondays are challengicious at The Conscious Shopper. Here's your next energy-related challenge:
Save Energy When Washing Dishes and Laundry
To complete this challenge, you can...
- Only wash full loads. Unless your dishwasher is full or you've got a full load of laundry, save it for the next load.
- Air dry your dishes. Instead of using the "heated dry" setting on your dishwasher, open the door and let them air dry.
- Wash your clothes on cold. According to Progress Energy, each load that I wash in cold can saves me about $0.50.
- Wash your clothes and dishes off-peak. Some newer models of dishwashers have a timer so you can run a load in the middle of the night when people generally use less energy. If possible, nighttime is also the best time to use your dryer - especially during the summer when your air-conditioner has to compete with the heat from your dryer.
- Line dry your clothes. Hang your clothes on a line and let the sun dry them. Along with your refrigerator, the dryer is your biggest energy hogging appliance.
Will you take the challenge?
You have hereby been challenged to go green in a year without going broke! Check out the last challenge, or view the whole list of Challengicious Mondays. Sign up for my RSS feed, follow me on Twitter, and join my "Go Green without Going Broke" group on Facebook!
- image by simplyla