Challengicious Monday: Change Your Bulbs

>> Monday, March 29, 2010

Mondays are challengicious at The Conscious Shopper. Here's your first energy-related challenge:

Change Your Bulbs


To complete this challenge, you can

BABY STEPS
  • Switch to CFLs. This is the baby step of all going green baby steps. Have you changed your lightbulbs yet? (You know they save you money, right?)
JOGGING STRIDE
  • Use motion-sensor lights. Rather than leaving a light on all night outside or in the bathroom, try switching to a light that only turns on when it detects motion.
MARATHON RUNNER
  • Use LEDs. This is the most energy-efficient long-lasting type of lighting; install an LED once and you won't have to replace it for decades. Unfortunately, affordability hasn't caught up with LED technology, and good affordable LEDs will not screw into a standard lightbulb fixture. But while you wait for LED technology to improve, try using LEDs in your recessed lighting and switch to LED Christmas lights.
We have all of our lightbulbs except for the recessed lighting in the kitchen switched over to CFLs. If we owned this house, I'd consider installing LEDs into the recessed lighting, but sadly, we're still renters.

For more information on lighting, check out I Need...Lighting (Beyond CFLs)

Will You Take the Challenge?
____________________

You have hereby been challenged to go green in a year without going broke! Check out the last challenge, or view the whole list of Challengicious Mondays. Sign up for my RSS feed, follow me on Twitter, and join my "Go Green without Going Broke" group on Facebook!

7 comments:

Zee @GreenBlossoms March 29, 2010 at 2:20 AM  

In addition to using CFLs, using motion sensor lights and LEDs, we should remember to observe proper disposal of CFLs too since they contain mercury! They should be recycled instead of being thrown out. We also wrote about switching to CFLs a few months ago and here's one of our tips: Take used CFL bulbs to the recycling center or seal them in a plastic bag and handle them with care. :)

KaKi March 29, 2010 at 9:36 AM  

I have switched all my bulbs to CFLs. I am currently redoing the lighting in my kitchen, so I need to look into the LED! Thanks for that! After that step, I would like to look into replacing my outside lighting with motion sensors. I wonder how costly that is? I'll check into this.

Wonder-ful March 29, 2010 at 12:31 PM  

There are only two light fixtures in the home that we haven't put CFLs in (because the bulbs are too big/long for the space). We let them burn out a couple years back and just never replaced them. Everything else is CFLs (we got a bunch a couple years ago when the electric company had a deal going and we could get 4 or 5 for a dollar).

We are getting ready to replace the outdoor fixture (one of the two that doesn't have CFLs) but we've agreed that whatever we get has to be wide/tall enough for CFLs or use LEDs or we just won't get the fixture.

Erin aka Conscious Shopper March 29, 2010 at 11:04 PM  

@KaKi - It's not costly at all. At least the way we did it wasn't - we just added a special sensor to the existing light fixtures. I can't remember how much it cost, but I think it was in the range of $10-20.

Condo Blues March 30, 2010 at 4:10 PM  

I'm a geek and counted that I have 58 light bulbs in my house. All but 5 are some sort of energy efficient bulb (CFLs, halogen, etc.) No LEDs yet besides a string of holiday lights due to availability and expense. I still have 5 incandescents in my bedroom. I tried switching them with the candle bulb CFLs but they looked, ah, um...suggestive. I changed them back to incandescents.

Lights in LED March 31, 2010 at 1:02 AM  

LED's also don't emitt any heat.

Levinson Axelrod April 8, 2010 at 12:15 PM  

Great green advice. Thanks for the tips on changing bulbs.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Copyright

© 2008-2010 The Conscious Shopper

You're welcome to link to any posts at The Conscious Shopper, but please do not use images or content from this site without my permission. Contact me at consciousshopperblog@gmail.com.

Disclosure

I do not accept money for writing reviews, but I do accept products for review and to giveaway. When posting a review, I fully disclose any free samples received from the company. I include information provided by the company in my reviews, but all opinions about the product are my own and I will not provide a good review for any product or company just because they sent me some free samples.

Disclaimer

The ideas on this blog are my opinion and are provided for informational purposes and entertainment only. I am not a financial advisor or medical professional. Please do not misconstrue the information on this blog as advice.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP