Challengicious Monday: Recycle Everything

>> Monday, March 15, 2010

Mondays are challengicious at The Conscious Shopper. Here's your next trash-related challenge:

Recycle Everything


To complete this challenge, you can...

BABY STEPS
  • Participate in your local recycling program. Check with your local waste collection to find out how to participate, and remember to find out what can and cannot be recycled in your area.
JOGGING STRIDE
  • Buy recycled products. Complete the loop by looking for products with recycled content whenever possible.
MARATHON RUNNER
  • Recycle everything. Before you throw anything in the trash, ask yourself, "Could this be recycled? How?" Besides your city's recycling collection, many cities have additional recycling stations that collect yard waste, scrap metal, electronics, and appliances. Plus, numerous companies and organizations throughout the country have set up additional recycling programs. Tomorrow, I'll provide you a list of some of the programs I know about.
As is the case with many of these challenges, I'm somewhere between Jogging Stride and Marathon Runner. I have good intentions to recycle beyond my city's collection, but too often, those good intentions end up being a pile of clutter that never goes away. (The floor of my closet is currently covered in electronics that I need to recycle. It's a walk in closet, but you can't actually walk into it right now. Luckily, I married the right man, who puts up with my crap with very little complaint.)

For more information on recycling, check out:

Will you take the challenge?
____________________

You have hereby been challenged to go green in a year without going broke! Check out the last challenge, or view the whole list of Challengicious Mondays. Sign up for my RSS feed, follow me on Twitter, and join my "Go Green without Going Broke" group on Facebook!

4 comments:

The Mom March 15, 2010 at 1:25 PM  

I'm also somewhere between jogging stride and marathon runner. Most things get recycled around here, we only end up with 1 trash bag a week for the most part. That is including the computer business that we run.

Staples will recycle most computer parts. They will also take packing peanuts to reuse. Boxes are recycled or put in my garden for paths to break down and feed the worms.

We end up going to the dump for recyclables far more often than for trash.

Sense of Home March 16, 2010 at 8:49 AM  

I am a marathon runner on this one. Fortunately our recycling center takes all kinds of plastic, glass, metal, paper, and cardboard. So we recycle everything, and since we do not have curbside recycling, every Tuesday I haul the recycling to the center. We also compost, so we have very little actual trash.

Nicole Boivin March 16, 2010 at 10:04 PM  

Hello, I'm Nicole from ecofreek.com- a search
engine for free and swap items. Our mission is to provide a
means for people to find items they need while reducing
landfill waste.

We would much appreciate a review of our site or any
feedback to help improve our service.

Nicole Boivin
nicole@ecofreek.com

Lisa Sharp March 26, 2010 at 7:26 PM  

I'm on the board of directors for my local recycling coalition so I'm all about recycling and I'm even working with the group to get more recycling. Currently we are looking into recycling cloth and maybe glass (yes we don't recycle glass, long story lol.)

Anyway I recycle everything I can which is most, I'm not waste free but my trash is way lower than most Americans. I have a composter, I recycle everything I can find recycling for even when it means I take recycling with me on vacation if that town recycles something we don't lol. My husband loves that! ha!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Copyright

© 2008-2010 The Conscious Shopper

You're welcome to link to any posts at The Conscious Shopper, but please do not use images or content from this site without my permission. Contact me at consciousshopperblog@gmail.com.

Disclosure

I do not accept money for writing reviews, but I do accept products for review and to giveaway. When posting a review, I fully disclose any free samples received from the company. I include information provided by the company in my reviews, but all opinions about the product are my own and I will not provide a good review for any product or company just because they sent me some free samples.

Disclaimer

The ideas on this blog are my opinion and are provided for informational purposes and entertainment only. I am not a financial advisor or medical professional. Please do not misconstrue the information on this blog as advice.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP