Defeating a Swarm of Fruit Flies

>> Thursday, November 12, 2009

A few people have asked me how the worm bin is going, so here's a little update...

I definitely made the mistake of putting too much food in the bin when we were starting out. One of the many advantages of a worm bin over a traditional compost bin is that it's not supposed to stink, but our bin started getting pretty rank. We also got a major gathering of fruit flies, and some of the worm tea started leaking out of the bottom holes.

There came a week when the weather was going to drop down really low, and it would have been best to bring the worms indoors for the night. But there was no way I was going to bring that rank mess of flies and worms into my house.

Luckily, the worms survived the cold, and they seem to be multiplying. In the meantime, I've cut way back on how much I was putting in there. I think I've gotten better now at telling how much I can feed them, but it sure isn't as much as I was hoping. At this rate, we're going to need several more bins to be able to compost all of our waste.

Warning, gross pictures ahead...

Even though the worm bin is out on our porch, a swarm of sneaky fruit flies snuck into the house. If you ever have the same problem, here's how you get rid of fruit flies:

STEP ONE: Keep your counters cleared of anything that the fruit flies might find appetizing.

STEP TWO: Put a small bowl of apple cider vinegar or balsamic vinegar on the counter. Apparently, fruit flies can't resist the stuff. Leave the bowl on the counter for a few days, and pretty soon, you'll see this:

3 comments:

Mary November 13, 2009 at 9:56 AM  

Thanks for the update. I guess for a family of seven we would need even more than you do.

Erin aka Conscious Shopper November 14, 2009 at 8:51 PM  

@Mary - I'm thinking of getting a regular compost bin going also, but the worm bin compost is supposed to be great for planting seeds, so I'm still going to keep it up and maybe get one more. That might work for your family also.

Brenda Pike November 17, 2009 at 4:17 PM  

We've got a fruit fly infestation, too. It's been really hard to get rid of them. We even tried moving the worms to a brand-new bin, but the flies somehow followed them. We could stop feeding them for a while, but I'm afraid that would kill the worms!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Copyright

© 2008-2010 The Conscious Shopper

You're welcome to link to any posts at The Conscious Shopper, but please do not use images or content from this site without my permission. Contact me at consciousshopperblog@gmail.com.

Disclosure

I do not accept money for writing reviews, but I do accept products for review and to giveaway. When posting a review, I fully disclose any free samples received from the company. I include information provided by the company in my reviews, but all opinions about the product are my own and I will not provide a good review for any product or company just because they sent me some free samples.

Disclaimer

The ideas on this blog are my opinion and are provided for informational purposes and entertainment only. I am not a financial advisor or medical professional. Please do not misconstrue the information on this blog as advice.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP