Seasonal Recipes for Fall

>> Friday, October 30, 2009

On a whim one day, I decided to join a winter CSA with Coon Rock Farm, a sustainable farm in my area. I had heard a lot of good things about this farm (one person called it the Polyface Farms of North Carolina), and since there are zero organics available at my farmer's market, I decided to give it a try over the winter.

So I thought that instead of my usual way of doing these seasonal recipes, I'd just show you what I got in my CSA box and tell you how we used it (or plan to use it).

What's in season in October/November?

To find out what's in season in your area, you can google "produce availability" and the name of your state, or choose your state on PickYourOwn.org. The latter has to be the worst designed and yet most valuable website I've seen. Anything you want to know about pick-your-own farms and preserving foods can be found there.

If you live in North Carolina, you will likely see the following fruits and vegetables at the farmer's market this month: apples, beets, broccoli, cabbage, cucumbers, leafy greens, peanuts, pecans, pumpkin, sweet potatoes, turnips, and winter squash.

In My CSA Box

Week 1: (Sorry no picture of this week's offerings)

  • We ate the turnip greens in an omelet. We eat omelets with toast almost every week.
  • The arugula and d'avignon radishes went into a salad as a side dish for pizza. Pizza is another weekly menu item.
  • I made pesto with the basil with a side dish of the aforementioned salad.



Week 2:
  • I used half of the baby red russian kale and purple mizuna in a stir fry.
  • The tatsoi (a green similar to spinach) went into omelets.
  • We haven't used the Japanese white turnips yet.
  • We made a salad with the d'avignon radishes, radish greens, and the other half of the kale and mizuna, which we ate as a side dish with pizza and the following recipe for pumpkin pasta:
Pasta with Creamy Pumpkin Sauce

SERVES 4
COST: $1.05 per serving*

8 oz. penne pasta
4 oz. yogurt cheese (or cream cheese)
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup pureed pumpkin
ground nutmeg to taste
  • Cook pasta according to package directions.
  • Place yogurt cheese, parmesan cheese, butter, and milk in a saucepan. Heat until melted, stirring frequently.
  • Add pumpkin. Cook until heated through.
  • Add pasta, tossing lightly. Sprinkle with ground nutmeg.




Week 3:
  • Once again, the tatsoi went into an omelet.
  • The arugula, radishes, radish greens, and some of the baby braising greens will go into a salad as a side dish for pizza and tortilla soup (made with some peppers and corn that I froze in the summer).
  • I'll be sautéing the Japanese white turnips from this week and last week for a side dish with golden chickpea patties using the following simple recipe from the CSA farm:
Sauteed Baby White Turnips
SERVES 2

4 turnips with greens
2 Tbsp. olive oil
salt and pepper
  • Cut greens off turnips and save for later.
  • Wash turnips and set aside to dry.
  • Heat oil in a frying pan on medium high.
  • When the oil is good and hot, throw in the whole turnips and stir well to coat with oil.
  • Cover and continue cooking for 5 to 10 minutes. When turnips start to brown, and in greens and cool all together until greens are slightly wilted.
  • Season to taste with salt and pepper.



Other great recipes for fall:

:: fresh 365 made Maple-Pumpkin Pasta with Blue Cheese and Sage and Black Bean and Sweet Potato Quesadillas.

:: It's Not Easy Being Green invented Crockpot Baked Stuffed Pumpkin with Apples.

:: Farmer's Daughter put together an Apple Tart.

:: A Veggie Venture baked custard inside of a whole pumpkin. She also has an interesting Supper Casserole with Pumpkin and Green Chile Cornbread Topping that I think could be altered to fit a vegetarian lifestyle.


*Note that all costs are estimates based on prices in my area. Your costs may vary.


Related Posts:

4 comments:

Green Bean October 30, 2009 at 12:39 AM  

That's funny! I've got the same acorn squash recipes bookmarked. :) They look amazing!

Erin aka Conscious Shopper November 1, 2009 at 9:15 PM  

@Green Bean - I think I found it through a comment you left on The Green Phone Booth. Looks so yummy!

Amy M November 2, 2009 at 2:33 PM  

Now that I know you have a blog I'll have to add it to my bookmarks. I love reading others' blogs, especially with yummy recipes.

Robbie November 5, 2009 at 8:11 AM  

Those recipes sound fabulous! I have some pumpkin I need to use up.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Copyright

© 2008-2010 The Conscious Shopper

You're welcome to link to any posts at The Conscious Shopper, but please do not use images or content from this site without my permission. Contact me at consciousshopperblog@gmail.com.

Disclosure

I do not accept money for writing reviews, but I do accept products for review and to giveaway. When posting a review, I fully disclose any free samples received from the company. I include information provided by the company in my reviews, but all opinions about the product are my own and I will not provide a good review for any product or company just because they sent me some free samples.

Disclaimer

The ideas on this blog are my opinion and are provided for informational purposes and entertainment only. I am not a financial advisor or medical professional. Please do not misconstrue the information on this blog as advice.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP