The Common Ground

>> Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The following is a guest post by my cousin Matt (who occasionally blogs about politics at United, but is lately very busy with school, moving, and a pregnant wife).

I've been frustrated lately by all of the lies and accusations coming from both sides of the political divide. We seem to be so caught up in our own agendas that we aren't recognizing what really matters and seeking to find common ground to make those ideals reality. I asked Matt to write a post for me because he and I have different political views, but there is also a lot that we agree on. I personally tend to lean toward the left, and although my cousin Matthew and his wife are more right leaning, I can recognize worth in their beliefs, particularly those values that we both share. We may not agree politically on the methods for bringing about change, but we can agree on the importance of issues like frugality, sustainability, and living consciously.



"Birther!"

"Tree Hugger!"

"Homophobe!"

"Liar!"

"Crazy!"

The political tit for tat is tiresome. The networks have driven hard into the political foray where they appear to have convinced many that pundits and politicians should be partners in chasing the ratings. They’ve turned the news into entertainment and Washington into Hollywood. The divisiveness is not only dizzying, but dangerous.

Somehow caring about the environment was drug into the mess as one of the hot button issues of the decade.

Stupidity in action.

Sometime after Al Gore invented the internet he invented global warming as well, but to the chagrin of many conservatives this claim had some traction. Why?!? How could anyone latch on to this liberal ‘going green’ ploy!?!

Because it made sense.

Forget the details. Forget the scientific research. Didn’t your mom ever get after you for leaving the lights on after you left a room? Didn’t she ever tell you that there were starving kids in Africa who would love to eat what you were leaving on your plate? Doesn’t frying green tomatoes out of your own garden always taste and feel better than a super-sized order of fries? Do you like paying $4.00/gallon for gas?

It just makes sense. That is why conscious and low impact living, of all issues, should be a common ground for the right and the left. Living consciously is just that – living so that we are aware of how our everyday actions impact those in our town or on the other side of the globe or our children or our grandchildren. What we buy and how we buy it. What we eat. What we wear. All of these have an economic, social, and environmental impact that should be the common ground.

Photo by purpleslog



Related Posts:

5 comments:

Green Bean September 15, 2009 at 11:12 AM  

Finally, some common sense! Great post.

jimmycrackedcorn September 16, 2009 at 10:23 AM  

Exactly. Common sense. I'm definitely in the political center--nowhere near the left, really--but this just makes sense to me and I can't understand those who even consider it a political issue.

daharja September 16, 2009 at 8:08 PM  

Common-sense, absolutely.

I don't understand why looking after our world is even a partisan issue. Since when did looking after your stuff have to be a political fighting ground? D'uh!

This world really is the only one we have. And it is too beautiful to trash.

Erin aka Conscious Shopper September 16, 2009 at 8:32 PM  

Thanks everyone for the comments! Don't I have a great cousin? :)

Lisa Sharp September 27, 2009 at 11:05 PM  

I wish people could see this. I keep saying this but no one listens to me because I'm socially liberal. haha

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Copyright

© 2008-2010 The Conscious Shopper

You're welcome to link to any posts at The Conscious Shopper, but please do not use images or content from this site without my permission. Contact me at consciousshopperblog@gmail.com.

Disclosure

I do not accept money for writing reviews, but I do accept products for review and to giveaway. When posting a review, I fully disclose any free samples received from the company. I include information provided by the company in my reviews, but all opinions about the product are my own and I will not provide a good review for any product or company just because they sent me some free samples.

Disclaimer

The ideas on this blog are my opinion and are provided for informational purposes and entertainment only. I am not a financial advisor or medical professional. Please do not misconstrue the information on this blog as advice.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP