July Round-Up

>> Sunday, July 19, 2009

This month is sort of transitional because I'm working on a new budget but haven't finalized it yet. Now that we've sold our house, money isn't quite so tight, so I've upped the miscellaneous spending (we always went over in that category anyway). Plus, our new house is within walking distance of most things we need, so presumably we'll need less for transportation. And I changed the grocery amount to reflect our green grocery spending.

I haven't quite figured out how much to budget for electricity/gas and water since we still haven't received a full month's bill for either of those and we're still adjusting to the new house. I should have the new official budget by next month.

Transportation is high this month because we took a trip to Kentucky/Tennessee to see family. We have another long trip coming up later this month. I didn't realize how much we travel until I started this blog!

Monthly Spending (budgeted amount in parentheses)

  • Groceries: $644.73 ($650)
  • Transportation: $260.47 ($150)
  • Energy: $59.10 ($150)
  • Water/Sewer: $16.96 ($50)
  • Entertainment/Miscellaneous: $322.38 ($400)
  • Clothes: $56.95 (no set budget)
  • TOTAL: $1,360.59 ($1,400)

Trash Report: 6 bags of trash (13 gallon bags); 1 recycling bin with plastic, metal, and glass; 1 paper grocery sack of paper


Changes I Made This Month:
  • In some areas, I've had to start all over again because of the move. I just barely got all 21 60-watt incandescent bulbs switched to CFLs. And the former resident of our house sure gets a lot of catalogs that I now have to cancel!

Goals for Next Month:
  • Time to address my water use.
  • Look for less toxic bug spray and sunscreen.


2 comments:

river-wind August 7, 2009 at 11:55 AM  

Came across your homemade fabreeze recepie; thanks!!

I haven't found a better sunscreen, however I do lots of hiking/canoeing etc, and while deet is currently still the king for the really bad spots teeming with mosquitoes the size of hornets and more ticks than ants, lemon grass oil has worked very well for me in the past.

It has to be reapplied more often than deet-based products, but it is very effective in keeping mosquitoes at bay; even on a two-week canoe trip through some pretty infested locations.

Erin aka Conscious Shopper August 16, 2009 at 11:00 PM  

@river-wind - Thanks for the suggestions!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Copyright

© 2008-2010 The Conscious Shopper

You're welcome to link to any posts at The Conscious Shopper, but please do not use images or content from this site without my permission. Contact me at consciousshopperblog@gmail.com.

Disclosure

I do not accept money for writing reviews, but I do accept products for review and to giveaway. When posting a review, I fully disclose any free samples received from the company. I include information provided by the company in my reviews, but all opinions about the product are my own and I will not provide a good review for any product or company just because they sent me some free samples.

Disclaimer

The ideas on this blog are my opinion and are provided for informational purposes and entertainment only. I am not a financial advisor or medical professional. Please do not misconstrue the information on this blog as advice.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP