Vegetarian Recipe: Butter Bean Burgers

>> Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Every week, when I think about potential future blog topics, I always include a vegetarian recipe. And every week, when I get a little busier than I expected (or I played with my kids too hard and I'm too tired to blog), the first potential post to go is always the vegetarian recipe. The result being that despite my good intentions, I have posted very few vegetarian recipes to this blog.

Now, that's just not fair to all the great vegetarian dishes in my recipe files considering that eating less meat is one of the top four things you can do to lessen your impact on the environment. (The others are energy efficient homes, energy efficient transportation, and buying less.)

So coincidentally as I was feeling bad about that, greeen sheeep aka EnviRambo blogged last week about going veggie for lent and needing some vegetarian recipes. Plus, I signed up to teach a vegetarian cooking class at my church later this week. So I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to devote a few days to recipes.

My focus for the cooking class is Beyond Beans and Rice: Eating Beans to Save Money and Use Up Your Food Storage. Lots of bean recipes ahead...

So long-winded preface aside, here's the recipe I'll be teaching at the class:


Butter Bean Burgers


SERVES 4
COST: $.75 per serving (not including buns or toppings)*

2 cups cooked butter beans (or 1 can butter beans, drained and rinsed)
1 small onion, chopped
6 saltine crackers, crushed (or lately I've been using bread crumbs)
1 egg, beaten
1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 c. vegetable oil for frying
  • In a medium bowl, mash the butter beans with a fork.
  • Mix in onion, crackers, egg, cheese, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
  • Shape into burger sized patties. Makes about 5 patties.
  • Heat oil in a large skillet.
  • Fry patties until golden, about 3 minutes on each side.
  • Serve on buns with the fixin's.

If you glance at my recipe index, you might easily come to the conclusion that 95% of the time, we eat bean burgers around here. Truthfully, we do eat a lot of bean burgers, and I can explain the reason why in one simple sentence: My husband is not a vegetarian.

My dear hubby is a meat and potatoes kind of man. He's happy with burritos (or anything related to a burrito). He enjoys some Italian now and again. Pizza is nice. But if I start throwing in too many nights of tofu or tempeh or any of those other strange vegetarian additions, he starts to protest.

So we eat bean burgers because they are sort of similar to eating meat and they go well with french fries.

*Note that costs are estimates based on prices in my area. Your costs may vary.

1 comments:

Stephanie March 11, 2009 at 12:19 AM  

Ooh, these sound tasty! I used to make something similar, back when I was vegetarian. I'll have to give these a try. I love beans (well, not green beens, sadly!). Lentil burgers are another yummy favorite for me. :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Copyright

© 2008-2010 The Conscious Shopper

You're welcome to link to any posts at The Conscious Shopper, but please do not use images or content from this site without my permission. Contact me at consciousshopperblog@gmail.com.

Disclosure

I do not accept money for writing reviews, but I do accept products for review and to giveaway. When posting a review, I fully disclose any free samples received from the company. I include information provided by the company in my reviews, but all opinions about the product are my own and I will not provide a good review for any product or company just because they sent me some free samples.

Disclaimer

The ideas on this blog are my opinion and are provided for informational purposes and entertainment only. I am not a financial advisor or medical professional. Please do not misconstrue the information on this blog as advice.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP