Vegetarian Recipe: Black Bean Nachos

>> Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Here's another reason to go veggie from Juliet Schor, a board director at the New American Dream:

A study on U.S. consumption from the University of Chicago estimates that if the average American were to reduce meat consumption by just 20 percent, that would be the equivalent of switching from driving a Camry to a Prius.

And now to continue on the theme of "Beyond Beans and Rice: Eating beans to save money and use your food storage" that I will be teaching at a vegetarian cooking class at my church tomorrow...

Black Bean Nachos


SERVES 4
COST: $0.40 per serving (not including toppings)*

2 cups cooked black beans (or 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed)
1 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. salsa or taco sauce
1 small garlic clove
8 flour tortillas
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Combine beans, 2 Tbsp. of water, chili powder, salt, pepper, cumin, salsa or taco sauce, and garlic in a food processor. Process until smooth.
  • Heat in a skillet (or even the microwave will work).
  • To prepare tortillas, cut each tortilla into 8 wedges.
  • Lightly brush the tortilla wedges with oil and bake 3-5 minutes.
  • Turn each wedge over and brush with oil again. Bake 3-5 more minutes until lightly browned and crispy.
  • Serve the beans and chips nacho style with lettuce, tomato, and cheese and whatever other toppings you like on your nachos.
*Note that all costs are estimates based on prices in my area. Your costs may vary.

2 comments:

Stephanie March 17, 2009 at 9:11 PM  

Ooh, I bet my son would eat these. It's only got a teaspoon of salsa on it- he won't eat anything resembling a tomato in any way (tomato sauce, fine, tomato chunks, head for the hills!). But he loves beans, so I bet this would be a go! Thanks! :)

I picked up a can of butter beans this week, too, to make your butter bean burgers. We're trying to be even more frugal than usual- husband lost his job, sigh, so we're doing all we can to pull through with as much of our savings intact as possible. Hopefully something will come along soon. :)

Erin aka Conscious Shopper March 19, 2009 at 8:21 PM  

Stephanie - My kids are the same about tomatoes. I watched them pick all the tomatoes out of dinner tonight. Silly kids!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Copyright

© 2008-2010 The Conscious Shopper

You're welcome to link to any posts at The Conscious Shopper, but please do not use images or content from this site without my permission. Contact me at consciousshopperblog@gmail.com.

Disclosure

I do not accept money for writing reviews, but I do accept products for review and to giveaway. When posting a review, I fully disclose any free samples received from the company. I include information provided by the company in my reviews, but all opinions about the product are my own and I will not provide a good review for any product or company just because they sent me some free samples.

Disclaimer

The ideas on this blog are my opinion and are provided for informational purposes and entertainment only. I am not a financial advisor or medical professional. Please do not misconstrue the information on this blog as advice.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP