Recipe: Mango Pancakes

>> Monday, December 15, 2008

We now interrupt our regularly scheduled programming (my attempt to convince you all to eat less meat over the holidays) to bring you this special recipe. These pancakes would be perfect for a Christmas morning breakfast and are sure to please anyone in the house, vegetarian and meat-eating alike, though locavores beware...they do include mangoes. If you are a hardcore local eater, the mangoes can be substituted with peaches or even apples.

This recipe says it serves four, but my family of two adults and three small children always doubles the recipe.

South Pacific Fruit Pancakes
(from The Book of Yogurt)

4 Tbsp. butter
3 Tbsp. brown sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 ripe mango, peeled, seeded, and cut in julienne
1 egg
1/2 c. unflavored yogurt
2/3 c. unsifted all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. powdered sugar
  • In a heavy skillet, melt 4 Tbsp. butter over moderate heat. Remove 1 Tbsp. melted butter and reserve.
  • Stir the brown sugar and 1 1/2 tsp. of the cinnamon into the melted butter in the skillet. Add the mango and cook a few minutes, stirring gently until half-tender. Remove from the heat and set aside.
  • In a large bowl, beat the egg well. Stir in the yogurt and the reserved 1 Tbsp. butter.
  • Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and 1 Tbsp of the powdered sugar. Add to the egg mixture and blend until the batter is the consistency of heavy cream.
  • Add the mango and mix lightly.
  • In a small, heavy skillet, melt 1 Tbsp. butter. Drop the mango batter, a large spoonful at a time, into the hot butter and cook until lightly browned on the bottom sides. Turn and lightly brown on the other sides.
  • Repeat until all the batter has been used, adding more butter to the skillet as necessary.
  • Mix together the remaining 1 Tbsp. powdered sugar and 1/2 tsp. cinnamon and sprinkle over the pancakes. Serve at once.

3 comments:

ChicChick December 28, 2008 at 7:34 PM  

These sound incredible! Thanks for the recipe--I'm in love with mangoes and could eat them every single day. Can't wait to give this a try!

Erin aka Conscious Shopper December 31, 2008 at 2:34 PM  

ChicChick - Hope you like them! Mangoes are definitely one of my favorite fruits. My husband spent some time in Bolivia and talks about how people there would go into the jungle and gather mangoes to sell on street corners in the city. That sounds so yummy!

kellie.alley January 9, 2009 at 9:49 PM  

I lived a yeah and a half in Paraguay and lived off of Mangoes almost that whole time. For a period of 6 months mangoes were in every lunch that we made. The best I found out came from Brazil!! Anyway, thanks for posting this recipe Erin, I kept meaning to get it from you or mom, but it never happened. Now I have it!!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Copyright

© 2008-2010 The Conscious Shopper

You're welcome to link to any posts at The Conscious Shopper, but please do not use images or content from this site without my permission. Contact me at consciousshopperblog@gmail.com.

Disclosure

I do not accept money for writing reviews, but I do accept products for review and to giveaway. When posting a review, I fully disclose any free samples received from the company. I include information provided by the company in my reviews, but all opinions about the product are my own and I will not provide a good review for any product or company just because they sent me some free samples.

Disclaimer

The ideas on this blog are my opinion and are provided for informational purposes and entertainment only. I am not a financial advisor or medical professional. Please do not misconstrue the information on this blog as advice.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP