>> Tuesday, December 16, 2008
Monthly Spending (budgeted amount in parentheses)
- Groceries: $594.77 ($500)
- Transportation: $225.55 ($300)
- Although still way under budget, this is our highest transportation spending in Raleigh so far, mainly due to a trip to Philly for Thanksgiving.
- Electricity: $81.03 ($150)
- Ha! Even better than last month, even with the heat turned on. Hope that means my efforts in energy efficiency have been paying off.
- Water/Sewer: $20.07 ($50)
- Entertainment/Miscellaneous: $263.90 ($300)
- Aaaah, much better....We still have room for improvement in this category, though. We have a problem with itty bitty spending here and there that all adds up to a whole lot of wasted money.
- Clothes: $85.36 (no set budget)
- This was all birthday money for me and First Son, so I didn't include it in the total. About a third was bought at thrift stores.
- TOTAL: $1,185.32 ($1,300)
Trash Report: 6 bags of trash (13 gallon bags); 2 bags of plastic and glass each, 3 bags of metal and paper each (reusable bags about the size of a paper grocery bag)
Changes I Made This Month:
- Wrapped up my paper changes, so now I'm a 100% recycled girl.
- Committed to buying eggs and milk from the farmer's market. Also buying organic cheese at the grocery store. Still working on finding a good source of ice cream.
- Worked on cutting back my energy usage.
- I plan to take a look at some of my beauty and hygiene products in the next few months. I already do pretty well in that area, but I've been experimenting with some DIY projects and want to report my findings.
- It's Christmas, so the big goal is to stay in the budget!