Spotlight on Raleigh: Recycling Facilities
>> Friday, July 17, 2009
My husband and I have moved five times in the seven years of our marriage. Usually, there comes a point in the moving process where I shout, "To heck with this!" and start throwing away anything in sight. This time, though, I am happy to say that I resisted temptation and did my best to dispose of things responsibly.
And that gave me a chance to get to know two of Raleigh's recycling drop off locations:
Swap ShopLocation: 900 N. New Hope Road in Raleigh
Description: The Swap Shop is located at the Yard Waste Center. It's a couple of shacks off to the side where you can drop off working, usable goods and take anything that was left there by someone else. Everything is free. Visit the City of Raleigh's website to find out what's acceptable to leave at the Swap Shop.
My Experience: I found some great treasures at the Swap Shop: an old but functioning camera that I gave to my delighted First Son and a couple sets of headphones, also donated to the boys. I left behind some mismatched dishes sets and some baby clothes, and I hope they've found a good home.
The only disadvantage of the Swap Shop is that it's kind of out of the way for most Raleigh residents. But if you check in anytime you have to take a load out to the yard waste center, you could get some awesome finds.
Multi Material Recycling Facilities
Locations: 9029 Deponie Drive in Raleigh and 6130 Old Smithfield Road in Apex
Description: These are the places to take any recyclable materials that aren't accepted in your green bin. In fact, you might be surprised at all the things that can be taken to the multi material recycling facilities. It's really awesome, so I hope they're recycling responsibly.
My Experience: I visited the North Wake Multi-Material Recycling Facility since it was the closest to me. It was a little confusing to figure out where to put things, but the workers were friendly and helpful. I left a broken CD player, a broken box fan, and a few other broken items that I can't remember now. Third Son went on a destruction spree right before we moved. :(
If you hadn't heard of these facilities before, I hope you'll take advantage of them in the future!
Photo from the City of Raleigh's webpage
Related Posts:
- Spotlight on Raleigh: Children's Consignment Stores
- Spotlight on Raleigh: Finding Local Food's in the Triangle
- Spotlight on Raleigh: Community Gardens, Just Getting Started
0 comments:
Post a Comment