Smile and Happiness Will Follow

>> Tuesday, February 9, 2010

I'm over at The Green Phone Booth today with a tip for staying motivated to live sustainably during the winter: Focus on the positive.

With those thoughts in mind, I want to do a little exercise. I'd like you to take a minute to note all the changes you've made since you started on your green journey. Don't just think about it...write them down - either here in the comments, on your own blog, or on a piece of paper.

Then when you get discouraged because you've gone back to using your dryer, your public transportation is a pain in the rear, or you had an impulse buy at Target, push aside the guilt and whip out your "List of Changes."

Yes, the winter is dreary, the root vegetables endless. Yes, the long, gravelly path to sustainability is the road less traveled. But, look how much we have done!

Read more...
Here's my list of changes:
  • Use cloth bags and produce bags
  • Use a reusable water bottle and thermos
  • Use homemade or less toxic household cleaners
  • Switched to recycled paper products or cloth
  • Use cloth diapers 80 percent of the time
  • Shop the bulk bins
  • Switch to dried beans instead of canned
  • Started a worm bin
  • Husband and First Son pack lunches
  • Use CFLs where possible
  • Use cold water and line dry shirts and pants
  • Use power strips
  • Support a tiny bit of renewable energy as part of our power bill
  • Husband and First Son walk to work/school about 2/3 of the time
  • Try to buy used before new
  • Joined a CSA
  • Buy all organic
  • Use less plastic
  • Keep house warmer in summer and colder in winter
  • Cook as much from scratch as we can
And still more to come as I keep working this year on The Conscious Shopper Challenge!
____________________

You have hereby been challenged to go green in a year without going broke! Check out the last challenge, or view the whole list of Challengicious Mondays.

Like what you see? Sign up for my RSS feed, follow me on Twitter, and join my "Go Green without Going Broke" group on Facebook! You can also find me over at The Green Phone Booth.

2 comments:

zee February 10, 2010 at 4:36 AM  

first of all, congratulations for taking all those green steps! i'm taking baby steps, and it always helps to read or hear about someone else's efforts. going green can be a daunting task for some, but with a little inspiration and positivity, we can really do a lot, and inspire others as well!

Erin aka Conscious Shopper February 10, 2010 at 8:57 PM  

@zee - Thanks for the words of encouragement!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Copyright

© 2008-2010 The Conscious Shopper

You're welcome to link to any posts at The Conscious Shopper, but please do not use images or content from this site without my permission. Contact me at consciousshopperblog@gmail.com.

Disclosure

I do not accept money for writing reviews, but I do accept products for review and to giveaway. When posting a review, I fully disclose any free samples received from the company. I include information provided by the company in my reviews, but all opinions about the product are my own and I will not provide a good review for any product or company just because they sent me some free samples.

Disclaimer

The ideas on this blog are my opinion and are provided for informational purposes and entertainment only. I am not a financial advisor or medical professional. Please do not misconstrue the information on this blog as advice.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP