>> Thursday, January 7, 2010
Here's your extreme challenge for January:
To complete this challenge, you can...
- Give up fast food for a month. Fast food restaurants are the biggest culprits in eating out - from the napkins, straws, and wrappers to the over-sized food choices, sodas, and factory-farmed meat. Try opting out of fast food just for one month.
- Only eat at locally-owned restaurants for a month. Even if you're dining habits still result in lots of trash and food waste, at least you'll be supporting the businesses in your community and maintaining your city's individuality. You could also take this challenge a step further and support only restaurants that serve local, sustainable, and organic dishes by searching the Eat Well Guide.
- Only eat home-cooked foods for a month. You can do it! Go a whole month without eating out.
Write it down.
Post it somewhere you'll see it.
My husband and I have completely different weaknesses when it comes to eating out. Of the two of us, I'm a billion times more likely to be in the car with three grumpy little people and suddenly realize, "Oh, crap, it's lunchtime." My husband, on the other hand, goes out to a sit-down restaurant once a week with his co-workers and orders something meaty. That ritual is one of the few times my non-vegetarian husband gets to eat meat, and it's important to him. I like to see my man happy.
So our plan is...
- I'll be going the full extreme and trying not to eat out all month.
- My husband will keep up the habit of eating out with his co-workers, but they've committed to only patronizing local restaurants for the month.
Will you accept the January Extreme Challenge to stop eating out for a month? Let me know in the comments what your family will be doing.
You have hereby been challenged to go green in a year without going broke! Check out the latest challenge, or view the whole list of Challengicious Mondays.
Like what you see? Sign up for my RSS feed, follow me on Twitter, and join my "Go Green without Going Broke" group on Facebook! You can also find me over at The Green Phone Booth.