How to Afford Switching to Cloth Bags

>> Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I knew that I should be using cloth bags a long time before I finally switched. Regular readers of my blog know that this was the story of my life for years: I knew that what I was doing was hurting the planet, but the alternative cost too much. So I stuck with what I'd always done.

Back then, the only cloth bags I'd ever seen cost a fortune. $5 per canvas bag meant $40 to $50 for enough bags to go grocery shopping. Or double that for a collection of those cool European style string bags. It didn't matter how much I wanted to go green...I couldn't afford it. Or could I?

Then and now, there are plenty of low-cost options for people who want to switch to cloth:

  • The ubiquitous recycled plastic cloth bag. You can find these at any grocery store, in every color imaginable, with every logo you could desire, and they only cost $1. If you shop at a grocery store that rewards you for bringing your own bag, you'll make up the investment pretty quickly. These are the bags I went with when I finally made the switch several years ago, and I've been happy with them. But they aren't the perfect bag - they're not as strong as other fabrics, and they're still made of plastic that will end up in the landfill eventually.
  • Free canvas tote bags. Long before those recycled plastic bags were the big thing, every event passed out free company-logoed canvas bags. I'm sure you've still got a few stuffed in the back of some closet somewhere. Condo Blues has a great post explaining why she likes the swag canvas bags.


What kind of cloth bags do you use?

____________________

You have hereby been challenged to go green in a year without going broke! Check out the latest challenge, or view the whole list of Challengicious Mondays.

Like what you see? Sign up for my RSS feed, follow me on Twitter, and join my "Go Green without Going Broke" group on Facebook! You can also find me over at The Green Phone Booth.

8 comments:

DramaMama January 19, 2010 at 8:52 AM  

I know it's not the same as free, but I have found a lot of really nice bags at thrift stores! Some of my favorites came from there! I have also made some of my own bags (built like a brown paper grocery bag) as gifts. They are really strong - let me know if you want the pattern =)

Robbie January 19, 2010 at 9:38 AM  

I know you said the store-bought green bags weren't that strong, but I've used them for several years and only had one handle snap at the seam. That one, I just use for pieces for patching - helped me salvage an 8-year-old lunch bag that worked but the handle was frayed.

Also, the new big giveaway thing at just about every event is green bags. I'm guilty of using those - but my services I help market were talked into doing those for giveaways early on!

Cherie January 19, 2010 at 6:53 PM  

I’ve given you an award. Claim it at: http://renaissancegardenblog.blogspot.com/2010/01/anniversary-and-award.html. I know you've already won, but you're on my list of must-reads so I'm giving it to you again.

Erin aka Conscious Shopper January 19, 2010 at 7:19 PM  

@DramaMama - I didn't think of that, but the thrift store would be a great place to get bags. Thanks for sharing the tip. And I'd love your bag pattern - my email is consciousshopperblog at gmail if you want to send it to me.

@Robbie - I've been using my green bags for about three years and most of them are holding together great, though I have one or two that are getting a bit worn. But they definitely won't last as long as a canvas bag would.

@Cherie - Thanks! I love your blog too!

Mon January 20, 2010 at 3:21 AM  

Just found your blog. LOVING it!

Brenda Pike January 20, 2010 at 11:33 AM  

My favorite bag is from Hannaford Brothers supermarket in Maine. (I'm sure they exist elsewhere, but this is the only place I can find them.) They are big and boxy and have cardboard or something sewn into the bottom to make them sturdier. They hold so much stuff without falling over that I can usually use just two or three.

I also keep a Reisenthel minimaxi bag in my purse all the time. Really handy.

I felt like I was getting weird looks when I first switched, but I'm now very good at giving baggers weird looks if they try to give me a bag.

Meghan January 28, 2010 at 3:40 PM  

I use any bags we get for free. Some of them are canvas and some are the recycled plastic cloth. None of them match, but I don't care; I'm grocery shopping, not going to a fashion show.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Copyright

© 2008-2010 The Conscious Shopper

You're welcome to link to any posts at The Conscious Shopper, but please do not use images or content from this site without my permission. Contact me at consciousshopperblog@gmail.com.

Disclosure

I do not accept money for writing reviews, but I do accept products for review and to giveaway. When posting a review, I fully disclose any free samples received from the company. I include information provided by the company in my reviews, but all opinions about the product are my own and I will not provide a good review for any product or company just because they sent me some free samples.

Disclaimer

The ideas on this blog are my opinion and are provided for informational purposes and entertainment only. I am not a financial advisor or medical professional. Please do not misconstrue the information on this blog as advice.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP