My New Year's Resolutions

>> Sunday, December 20, 2009

Check out the resolutions of all the Green Moms at Non-Toxic Kids.

We've had a very enjoyable and joyous holiday season as we've completed each of the activities on our advent calendar. But...

I have to admit that as the time grows closer and closer to Christmas, my eco-standards have started to slip a bit. It has been all about saving time: We started driving to and from my son's school instead of walking. I slacked off on line drying our clothes. We swung by fast food restaurants a couple times while running errands. I even broke down and tossed a gingerbread house kit into my grocery cart one day to replace the more time-consuming handpainted wooden nativity we had planned to make.

Although the only gift we bought from a store this year was a Holiday Angel Gift for a child at my son's school, our handmade, tradition-filled holiday has still been very, very busy. Possibly more busy, in fact, than in years past.

So my #1 Resolution for the new year is to Get back into the groove.

And here are the rest of my resolutions for 2010:

Resolution #2: Re-assess my green side with The Conscious Shopper Challenge.

Resolution #3:
Push myself a little bit further with monthly Extreme Challenges.

Resolution #4: Reduce my monthly mileage to 500 miles a month.

Resolution #5: Reduce my household garbage production to 2 trash bags a month.

Resolution #6: Plant a garden.

Resolution #7: Learn to knit.

Resolution #8: Improve my photography skills with my new camera.


Books I would like to read next year...

I love to read - have you read any books lately that I just have to read?


I'm taking the next two weeks off for a Holiday Blogcation. I'll be back on January 3rd to start the Conscious Shopper Challenge. I hope you'll join me!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

9 comments:

Eco Yogini December 21, 2009 at 11:22 AM  

oh holidays are so tricky! I think it's ok to allow yourself some Grace in this time... and it's fantastic that you are recognizing and writing out your new/renewed goals :)

Your new goals sound FAB!

Amber December 22, 2009 at 12:13 AM  

I love to knit, I think that is an EXCELLENT resolution.

And I hear you on the slacking. I must confess, I am doing the same. Here's to a better 2010.

Cherie December 22, 2009 at 8:48 PM  

This is the time of year when we get rushed and over do and over indulge. As Eco Yogini says, we need to allow ourselves some grace.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! I look forward to your future posts.

Erin aka Conscious Shopper December 22, 2009 at 9:39 PM  

Thanks, everyone, for giving me some slack! And Merry Christmas to you too!

Green & Clean Mom January 3, 2010 at 10:35 PM  

Can't wait to see or hear about what you Knit! What a great idea for relaxing, giving and doing something new this year! I like how you were specific in your mileage reduction. It will give you something measurable in the end - I hope you post about this!

Linda A January 4, 2010 at 2:58 PM  

I like your idea about reducing your mileage to 500 miles. I live in the country so I'm trying to have several days a week when I don't go anywhere and when I do go, I combine all my errands. I am going to start using my trip odometer to keep track of the miles. Thanks!

Linda A of Citizen Green

Erin aka Conscious Shopper January 4, 2010 at 3:06 PM  

@Green & Clean Mom - I taught myself to crochet in high school and have always loved it, but knitting is so much more versatile. I'm excited to learn how to do it!

@Linda - I think that's a great idea. A few years ago, I did something like that where I set aside some days as "going out" days and some days as "stay at home" days. I might need to start that again!

Condo Blues January 4, 2010 at 6:35 PM  

We ended up making a gingerbread house with a kit instead of all homemade. We put candy solar panels on it to make it more green.

Erin aka Conscious Shopper January 4, 2010 at 7:57 PM  

@Condo Blues - Perfect! Wish I had thought of that - would have been a great lesson for the kids. "Momma, what's a solar panel?"

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Copyright

© 2008-2010 The Conscious Shopper

You're welcome to link to any posts at The Conscious Shopper, but please do not use images or content from this site without my permission. Contact me at consciousshopperblog@gmail.com.

Disclosure

I do not accept money for writing reviews, but I do accept products for review and to giveaway. When posting a review, I fully disclose any free samples received from the company. I include information provided by the company in my reviews, but all opinions about the product are my own and I will not provide a good review for any product or company just because they sent me some free samples.

Disclaimer

The ideas on this blog are my opinion and are provided for informational purposes and entertainment only. I am not a financial advisor or medical professional. Please do not misconstrue the information on this blog as advice.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP