A Pre-Carnival Post

>> Monday, October 12, 2009

I'm writing a post for tomorrow for the Green Moms Carnival. The topic is "standards" with a specific focus on Wal-Mart's plan to create an international sustainability index. Since some of you might not know much about this index, I wanted to provide a little background information first.

Wal-Mart's plan is to have their suppliers complete a survey on the sustainability of their products. This information will be used to create lifecycle assessments of the products, which will eventually be available to consumers - most likely as a label on the products.

Wal-Mart has prepared an initial 15-question survey, covering Energy and Climate, Material Efficiency, Natural Resources, and People and Community, but they have invited others to help further develop the survey and create the sustainability index by participating in a sustainability consortium.

Now here's the kicker.

The cost to be a part of this group is $250,000. So who gets a say in the development of this important index? Only the big boys. Consumers are not invited.

Is that fair? And if I could come up with $250,000 and participate in the consortium, what would I want to make sure is in the index criteria? That's what I'll be looking at tomorrow...

If you could participate in the consortium, what would you say?


Related Posts:

2 comments:

Allison October 12, 2009 at 8:15 AM  

Of course! Yet another way for them to make money, just with a green wrapper. Wal-Mart makes me ill.

Erin aka Conscious Shopper October 13, 2009 at 9:54 PM  

@Allison - I'm with you. I only shop at Walmart when I'm visiting family, and then it's only because there's no other place to shop in the small town where they live (because Walmart put all the other stores out of business).

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Copyright

© 2008-2010 The Conscious Shopper

You're welcome to link to any posts at The Conscious Shopper, but please do not use images or content from this site without my permission. Contact me at consciousshopperblog@gmail.com.

Disclosure

I do not accept money for writing reviews, but I do accept products for review and to giveaway. When posting a review, I fully disclose any free samples received from the company. I include information provided by the company in my reviews, but all opinions about the product are my own and I will not provide a good review for any product or company just because they sent me some free samples.

Disclaimer

The ideas on this blog are my opinion and are provided for informational purposes and entertainment only. I am not a financial advisor or medical professional. Please do not misconstrue the information on this blog as advice.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP