Wanted: Seasonal Recipes

>> Monday, June 8, 2009

Do you have great recipes for using seasonal fruits and vegetables? Do you want great recipes for using seasonal fruits and vegetables? If so, read on!

I had this great idea a few weeks ago for a post called Strawberry Season! (In Which My Family Proves It's Possible to Eat 12 Pounds of Strawberries in a Week).

Yes, we really did that.

Strawberries are cheapest if you buy a flat instead of the little quart containers or even the five pound buckets. The first week that strawberries appeared at the farmers market, I bought a flat and froze most of them. So the next week, our freezer was full, but I still bought a flat for the best value, and since I still don't have my canner to make jam, we had to eat them. All 12 pounds of them. We ate strawberry muffins, strawberry yogurt, strawberry salad, strawberry crisp, and just plain strawberries. I know, I know, pure torture...

Anyway, the post was going to include all of the strawberry recipes we tried, but with moving, I never got around to it, and now strawberry season is over (at least around here).

But thinking about our week of strawberries reminded me of the summer we participated in a CSA (community supported agriculture). We paid a fee to a small farm in Maryland and in return got a share of their crops. Great idea - I highly recommend it.

But if you've ever participated in a CSA, or just had a garden, you know that eating a seasonal harvest is nothing like picking out vegetables from the grocery store, where you have access to any ingredient in any recipe. When you have to cater your cooking to the season, you realize...

  • Just because you planned to have corn for dinner does not mean you will get to have corn
  • Strawberry season goes by way too fast
  • And there are a couple of weeks late in the summer where you have to get really, really creative with zucchini.
So as my family continues to try to eat more seasonally, I thought it would be fun to share some of the recipes we find super yummy, and to get ideas for recipes from others.

I plan on posting recipes once a month to take advantage of the seasonal harvests. The first post will be added next Monday.

If you would like to participate, you can:
  1. Email your recipe to ena [dot] peters [at] gmail [dot] com, and I will include it in the post.
  2. Post a recipe on your personal blog, email the link to ena [dot] peters [at] gmail [dot] com, and I will include the link in the post.
  3. Post a recipe on your personal blog, and add the link to the comments of the post.
Looking forward to good eatin'!

5 comments:

Frank Ladd June 10, 2009 at 9:35 AM  

Your email doesn't work from my yahoo address anymore so I'll post my recipe here:

My recipe works for any berries as follows:

Fill mason jar with 2 inches of sugar.

Fill the rest of the way with berries.

fill the jar with as much 151 as will fit.

Seal jar and turn over each month.

Open and share with your adult friends starting with the Thanksgiving holidays and lasting through New Years.

To share open the jar pass out the berries for eating, then pass arounf the jar or pour shots or make daiquiris.

Happy Thanks Giving!

Erin aka Conscious Shopper June 10, 2009 at 9:07 PM  

Frank - Strange about the email address...Nice recipe, though. When you say "seal jar," do you mean in a canner? Or just put the lid on it?

Going Green Mama June 11, 2009 at 3:57 PM  

I understand that problem! We did a CSA last season and had to be quite creative.

Here is an archive of the seasonal recipes I had. It included "regular" things such as asparagus and berries and more unusual things like bok choy as well.

http://going-green-mama.blogspot.com/search/label/recipes

I'm looking forward to this thread!

Erin aka Conscious Shopper June 13, 2009 at 11:11 AM  

Going Green Mama - Thanks! I'm looking forward to going through these!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Copyright

© 2008-2010 The Conscious Shopper

You're welcome to link to any posts at The Conscious Shopper, but please do not use images or content from this site without my permission. Contact me at consciousshopperblog@gmail.com.

Disclosure

I do not accept money for writing reviews, but I do accept products for review and to giveaway. When posting a review, I fully disclose any free samples received from the company. I include information provided by the company in my reviews, but all opinions about the product are my own and I will not provide a good review for any product or company just because they sent me some free samples.

Disclaimer

The ideas on this blog are my opinion and are provided for informational purposes and entertainment only. I am not a financial advisor or medical professional. Please do not misconstrue the information on this blog as advice.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP