Noteworthy Green: Grass-fed Meat, Energy Efficiency, Jacks-of-All-Trades, and More

>> Wednesday, April 8, 2009

::Mother Earth News discusses the benefits of grass-fed meat, including "a more humane livestock system, a healthier human diet, less deadly E. coli, elimination of feedlots, a bonanza of wildlife habitat nationwide, enormous savings in energy, virtual elimination of pesticides and chemical fertilizers on those lands, elimination of catastrophic flooding that periodically plagues the Mississippi Basin, and most intriguingly, a dramatic reduction in global warming gases."

::Time Magazine promotes energy efficiency. (This is an old article - I was catching up on my magazine reading the other day.)

::Simple-Green-Frugal asserts that buying ethically is not expensive unless you "try to fit a lifetime of consumption habits and try to make it fit an ethical framework."

::Tom Philpott at Grist provides a rousing speech about the benefits of a local-centered economy, especially local sustainable agriculture.

::Nicolas D. Kristoff at The New York Times illuminates the effect of the downturning economy on the world's poorest: "According to World Bank estimates, the global economic crisis will cause an additional 22 children to die per hour, throughout all of 2009."

::The Simple Dollar provides ten steps to becoming a jack-of-all-trades, a trait that can help you save money and build a large social network.

::Wealth Itself relates how switching energy suppliers saved him $30/month, and provides a list of states that allow you to choose among several electricity suppliers.Did you read anything noteworthy this week? Add it to the comments!

2 comments:

andum April 12, 2009 at 1:32 AM  

Thanks for mentioning my post in your blog. Too bad North Carolina doesn't have an alternative energy supplier program - I am sure that you would sign up for it.

I like the fact that you are publishing your monthly expenses.

Consider participating in a carnival:
http://blogcarnival.com/bc/

Erin aka Conscious Shopper April 13, 2009 at 8:58 PM  

andum - Thanks for the great post! I had never heard of alternative energy supplier programs, so it was a cool tip. Thanks for stopping by!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Copyright

© 2008-2010 The Conscious Shopper

You're welcome to link to any posts at The Conscious Shopper, but please do not use images or content from this site without my permission. Contact me at consciousshopperblog@gmail.com.

Disclosure

I do not accept money for writing reviews, but I do accept products for review and to giveaway. When posting a review, I fully disclose any free samples received from the company. I include information provided by the company in my reviews, but all opinions about the product are my own and I will not provide a good review for any product or company just because they sent me some free samples.

Disclaimer

The ideas on this blog are my opinion and are provided for informational purposes and entertainment only. I am not a financial advisor or medical professional. Please do not misconstrue the information on this blog as advice.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP