March Round-Up

>> Monday, March 16, 2009

I'm pretty proud of myself this month. It was a five-week grocery trip month, but I still managed to stay close to the overall total budget. The transportation total is up because my husband has been working crazy hours at work so he has been driving a lot instead of walking/taking the bus. And the electricity bill is up because we've been having bizarre weather. An 80 degree day followed by a 30 degree day makes a 60 degree house seem extra extra cold. So I bumped the heat up to 65. Yep, I'm a rebel.

Monthly Spending (budgeted amount in parentheses)

  • Groceries: $746.56 ($500)
  • Transportation: $169.17 ($300.00)
  • Electricity: $120.31 ($150)
  • Water/Sewer: $20.00 ($50)
  • Entertainment/Miscellaneous: $249.31 ($300)
  • Clothes: $18.09 (no set budget)
  • TOTAL: $1323.44 ($1,300)

Trash Report: 4 bags of trash (13 gallon bags); 1 bag of glass, 1 1/2 bags each of plastic and metal, 2 bags of paper (reusable bags about the size of a paper grocery bag). Trash went down but recycling went up. I guess that's okay, right?


Changes I Made This Month:

Goals for Next Month:
  • Lots of info about energy efficiency projects around the home coming up.
  • Plant a small container garden.
  • Get a worm bin.
  • I never made it to last month's Sierra Club meeting, so I'm repeating this goal for next month.
  • I think it's time to take the plunge into organics. I've been doing tons of research (making a price book, calculating year-long costs of different categories of my pantry items, evaluating costs of different recipes, etc.), and by my calculations, I should be able to go organic and still stay in the budget. I may hold off on giving tips until I see how I do, but you can watch out for any spikes in my food bill over the next couple months.

1 comments:

michelle March 19, 2009 at 6:15 PM  

You have been honored with a
WONDERFUL BLOG award because I think you are wonderful!

Stop by my blog to accept your award.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Copyright

© 2008-2010 The Conscious Shopper

You're welcome to link to any posts at The Conscious Shopper, but please do not use images or content from this site without my permission. Contact me at consciousshopperblog@gmail.com.

Disclosure

I do not accept money for writing reviews, but I do accept products for review and to giveaway. When posting a review, I fully disclose any free samples received from the company. I include information provided by the company in my reviews, but all opinions about the product are my own and I will not provide a good review for any product or company just because they sent me some free samples.

Disclaimer

The ideas on this blog are my opinion and are provided for informational purposes and entertainment only. I am not a financial advisor or medical professional. Please do not misconstrue the information on this blog as advice.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP