Vegetarian Recipe: Macaroni Stuffed Tomatoes

>> Wednesday, February 11, 2009

I heard a fascinating interview on NPR today with Berry Popkin, a professor of nutrition at UNC-Chapel Hill. He recently published a book called The World Is Fat, analyzing the amazing statistic that 1.6 billion people worldwide are overweight (compared to 100 million only 50 years ago). According to Popkin, there are twice as many overweight people in the world as are underweight or starving.

Explaining the rise in obesity, he said, "It's really a confluence of very rapid changes and accessibility to cheap animal foods, to cheap edible oils, to global sweetening of our diet, particularly the way we drink has changed remarkably..and at the same time the rapid shift in technology for how we move at work, at travel to work, at home, in producing food, and at leisure."

Here's a recipe to help you reduce your meat intake:


Macaroni Stuffed Tomatoes


Stuffing one food into something else somehow makes the meal seem so much fancier, but I admit that when I usually make this meal, I just chop up the whole tomato and mix it all together. From start to finish, this dish takes 15 minutes or so to make.

SERVES 4
COST: $1.75 per serving*

1/2 a box of macaroni
4 large tomatoes
1/4 c. olive oil
1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. dried parsley
1 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. garlic
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups cooked pinto beans (or 1 can, drained and rinsed)
1/2 c. cheese
  • Cook pasta according to package directions.
  • Core the tomatoes. Scoop out the pulp and chop it up.
  • Stir oil, vinegar, herbs, cooked macaroni, and beans into the tomato pulp.
  • Stuff the tomatoes.
  • Sprinkle cheese on top.
*Costs are estimates based on prices in my area. Your costs may vary.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Copyright

© 2008-2010 The Conscious Shopper

You're welcome to link to any posts at The Conscious Shopper, but please do not use images or content from this site without my permission. Contact me at consciousshopperblog@gmail.com.

Disclosure

I do not accept money for writing reviews, but I do accept products for review and to giveaway. When posting a review, I fully disclose any free samples received from the company. I include information provided by the company in my reviews, but all opinions about the product are my own and I will not provide a good review for any product or company just because they sent me some free samples.

Disclaimer

The ideas on this blog are my opinion and are provided for informational purposes and entertainment only. I am not a financial advisor or medical professional. Please do not misconstrue the information on this blog as advice.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP