Experiments in Anonymous Kindness

>> Monday, December 8, 2008


In a post I wrote awhile back, I asked, "Wouldn't it be wonderful if the holiday of Thanksgiving were accompanied by a season of kind-giving?"

Now that Thanksgiving is over, I'd like to rephrase the question: Wouldn't it be wonderful if every day were a day of kind-giving?

That's the goal of one group of people I discovered at the Green Festival in DC. They call it the SmileCard project, and their slogan is "Kindness is contagious! Keep it going."

Their idea goes like this: You perform an anonymous act of kindness for someone, leaving behind a card that says, "Smile. You've just been tagged. Experiments in Anonymous Kindness is the name of the game, and now - you're it." Then hopefully that person will perform an anonymous act of kindness for someone else, who will perform a kindness for someone else, and so on and so on.

Want to play? Visit their website at helpothers.org where you can print Smile Cards and read hundreds of suggestions of ways to be kind.

Here are some of their suggestions to get you started:

  • Donate your unused winter-wear to those who might not have a home.
  • Arrange a clothing drive in your neighborhood.
  • Become a 'secret santa' for a family in need.
  • Next time you're on the streets, take some soup or hot chocolate for a homeless person.
  • Clip all the positive news stories you read this season, make a nice album and leave it at your dentist's office.
  • Teach a child about generosity by asking them to donate one of their toys this Christmas.
Christmas is a great time to get into the habit of kind-giving. I'm helping my boys and a few of their friends put together a little Christmas program that they'll perform for a couple of homebound elderly people in our area. The Nativity Story performed by a bunch of three year olds is bound to be a disaster, but I'm sure the people we'll be visiting will love it anyway.

What suggestions do you have for spreading kindness this Christmas?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Copyright

© 2008-2010 The Conscious Shopper

You're welcome to link to any posts at The Conscious Shopper, but please do not use images or content from this site without my permission. Contact me at consciousshopperblog@gmail.com.

Disclosure

I do not accept money for writing reviews, but I do accept products for review and to giveaway. When posting a review, I fully disclose any free samples received from the company. I include information provided by the company in my reviews, but all opinions about the product are my own and I will not provide a good review for any product or company just because they sent me some free samples.

Disclaimer

The ideas on this blog are my opinion and are provided for informational purposes and entertainment only. I am not a financial advisor or medical professional. Please do not misconstrue the information on this blog as advice.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP