Alternate Thanksgiving Recipes

>> Tuesday, November 18, 2008

You probably wouldn't see the following recipes at a traditional Thanksgiving dinner, but hey, if you're eating vegetarian, you're probably not traditional anyway!

Walnut Oatmeal Burger
(from the Laurel's Kitchen cookbook)


This recipe won't fool anyone by the taste, but it sure looks like hamburger and has a meat-like texture.

SERVES 4
COST: $1.00 per serving (not including buns or toppings)*

3/4 cup walnuts
1 c. quick oats
2 eggs
1/4 c. milk
onion, chopped fine
1/2 tsp. sage
1/2 tsp. salt
black pepper to taste
oil to brown patties
2 c. vegetable stock
  • Grind walnuts in a blender and combine with oats, eggs, milk, onion, sage, salt, and pepper. Form about 6 patties.
  • Brown patties on both sides in a lightly oiled skillet, then pour the stock into the skillet and bring to a boil.
  • Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 25 minutes.
  • Serve on buns with "the fixin's" or crumble and use as you would hamburger in chili beans, spaghetti sauce, etc. (We also eat it with gravy like in the last recipe.

Vegetarian Collard Greens


Traditional Southern-style collard greens are made with smoked ham hocks. This recipe makes up for that flavor with smoked sesame oil and red pepper flakes. It's delicious!

1 bunch baby collards
water
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon smoked sesame oil
2 vegetarian boullion cubes
2 tsp. garlic
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • Wash the collard greens in a big sink of water.
  • Cut the leaves from the stems, chop the leaves, and place in a large pot.
  • Fill the pot with water. Add the rest of the ingredients.
  • Bring the water to a boil and then simmer for about an hour, stirring occasionally. When done, the greens should be tender and dark green.
  • Drain and serve.

Roasted Potatoes

1 1/2 pounds of new red potatoes, cubed
1 onion, sliced
2 Tbsp. oil
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 tsp. garlic
1 tsp. rosemary
2 tsp. oregano
salt and pepper
  • Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
  • Combine potato and onion in a baking dish.
  • Mix together oil, lemon juice, garlic, rosemary, oregano, salt and pepper. Drizzle mixture over potatoes.
  • Bake for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender and brown on the edges.


*Costs are estimates based on prices in my area. Your costs may vary.

2 comments:

Alley Times November 19, 2008 at 3:08 PM  

Matt just sent me the link to your blog, I like it! I'm going to refer to it often. It's good to know that there are other people out there coming to the same realization as we are and wanting to do something about it. I hope we can help each other.

Erin aka Conscious Shopper November 20, 2008 at 8:18 AM  

Hi, Kareena! I'm glad you're enjoying the blog! It's funny, though, because Josh and I were joking the other day that you guys had abandoned the Alley Democrats and gone and formed your "own opinions" (gasp!). Ha, ha, guess having a desire for a better world is a nonpartisan issue! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your comments to my ramblings.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Copyright

© 2008-2010 The Conscious Shopper

You're welcome to link to any posts at The Conscious Shopper, but please do not use images or content from this site without my permission. Contact me at consciousshopperblog@gmail.com.

Disclosure

I do not accept money for writing reviews, but I do accept products for review and to giveaway. When posting a review, I fully disclose any free samples received from the company. I include information provided by the company in my reviews, but all opinions about the product are my own and I will not provide a good review for any product or company just because they sent me some free samples.

Disclaimer

The ideas on this blog are my opinion and are provided for informational purposes and entertainment only. I am not a financial advisor or medical professional. Please do not misconstrue the information on this blog as advice.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP