Grocery Shopping Week 3: Food Lion

>> Friday, October 3, 2008

Food Lion Scores
Better World Shopper: D+

Distance from my apartment: 1.3 miles (4 minutes)

Food Lion has the advantage of being my corner grocery store. Since it's only a mile from my apartment, in theory I could walk there (if I was willing to risk my life walking on the highway that leads there). If I ever get a bike trailer (someday soon, I hope!), I could take the long route and bike to the grocery store. And since the farmer's market is just down the road, I could do all my grocery shopping in one morning. Plus, when I announced that we were shopping at Food Lion today, First Son exclaimed, "Hurray! My favorite grocery store!" They have the shopping carts that are shaped like race cars...

Unfortunately, Food Lion is tied with Walmart for the fewest natural, fair trade, and organic items. In the produce section, I found organic bananas, but I didn't buy them because they were wrapped in plastic and the overpackaging of organic foods has become a sore spot with me. Why, oh why, do they do that??? They also had organic baby food and hormone-free milk, and that was it. They didn't even have Stonyfield Farm yogurt, which you can generally find at any grocery store.

The question I'm asking now is what's more important: buying everything natural and organic, or cutting down on emissions by biking to the grocery store?

Here are the usual suspects:

tofu
cheddar cheese (4 cup bag)
frozen apple juice (2)
butter
milk
applesauce
organic baby food (7 jars)
organic baby cereal (2 boxes)
tortillas (family pack)
cereal (2 boxes)
yogurt
avocado
carrots
bananas
mushrooms

Total: $47.54

2 comments:

ChicChick November 1, 2008 at 8:33 PM  

I know what you mean about all the plastic wrapped organic produce. I was told that this is so it doesn't become "contaminated" by the conventionally grown produce. The worst is the apples, tomatoes and kiwi in their little foam trays, covered in plastic~good grief!

I just linked to your blog from Crunchy Chicken. It's great and I've bookmarked it for future reference.

Conscious Shopper,  November 2, 2008 at 8:37 PM  

Thanks for the encouragement. It's always more fun to blog when there's feedback involved!

I took a look at your blog as well and will be checking it out more in the future.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Copyright

© 2008-2010 The Conscious Shopper

You're welcome to link to any posts at The Conscious Shopper, but please do not use images or content from this site without my permission. Contact me at consciousshopperblog@gmail.com.

Disclosure

I do not accept money for writing reviews, but I do accept products for review and to giveaway. When posting a review, I fully disclose any free samples received from the company. I include information provided by the company in my reviews, but all opinions about the product are my own and I will not provide a good review for any product or company just because they sent me some free samples.

Disclaimer

The ideas on this blog are my opinion and are provided for informational purposes and entertainment only. I am not a financial advisor or medical professional. Please do not misconstrue the information on this blog as advice.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP