Grocery Shopping Week 6: Harris Teeter

>> Monday, October 27, 2008

Distance from my apartment: 4.6 miles (10 minutes)

Harris Teeter is a regional supermarket with stores in eight Southern states. If you don't live in one of those states, think of the nicest supermarket in your area, and you'll be able to picture Harris Teeter. Their stores are organized and clean with a huge produce section and deli. And let me tell you, the produce there is soooo beautiful. This is the type of store that will make you want to eat your veggies.

Harris Teeter has a broad selection of organic and natural grocery items, ranging from organic bananas (not wrapped in plastic!) to local milk. Unlike Kroger, their organics are interspersed throughout the store, but they helpfully provide signs on all the shelves with organic items, and they even point out the local items. I was surprised to see a large amount of local produce, so if you don't live near a farmer's market but do live near a Harris Teeter, that might be an option for you.

My total bill at Harris Teeter was roughly the same as at Whole Foods, something I wasn't expecting. I've heard from many people around here that if you're big into coupon clipping, Harris Teeter is the place to shop (I personally have never been very good at the whole coupon thing) because they double and sometimes triple coupons. Also, Harris Teeter is more kid-friendly than Whole Foods. They have the big shopping carts shaped like race cars, and their aisles are easy to maneuver down (unlike at Whole Foods where my kids are not allowed to take their hands off the cart for fear they will knock something over).

As usual, no fair trade chocolate chips.

Here's my total bill:

organic tempeh
cheese (4 cups)
organic juice (2 cans)
organic butter
local milk
organic applesauce
organic baby food
organic baby cereal
cereal
tortillas
organic yogurt
organic avocado
organic carrots
organic bananas
mushrooms

Total = $59.19

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Copyright

© 2008-2010 The Conscious Shopper

You're welcome to link to any posts at The Conscious Shopper, but please do not use images or content from this site without my permission. Contact me at consciousshopperblog@gmail.com.

Disclosure

I do not accept money for writing reviews, but I do accept products for review and to giveaway. When posting a review, I fully disclose any free samples received from the company. I include information provided by the company in my reviews, but all opinions about the product are my own and I will not provide a good review for any product or company just because they sent me some free samples.

Disclaimer

The ideas on this blog are my opinion and are provided for informational purposes and entertainment only. I am not a financial advisor or medical professional. Please do not misconstrue the information on this blog as advice.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP