Break Your Bottled Water Habit

>> Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Break the Bottled Water Habit

While ranting to my mom yesterday about my personal peeve with the overpackaging of otherwise good products, I mentioned that I had written a letter to Seventh Generation asking why their paper towels are wrapped in plastic while their toilet paper is wrapped in paper. My mom replied, "I don't even know where to find Seventh Generation paper towels."

I thought my mom hit on a major point. Many, many Americans are in the same boat as my parents, who live in a small town in Kentucky. They want to be more environmentally conscious, but the only place to shop is Walmart (which I've already noted is lacking in the "green" department) and their town doesn't even collect recycling.

Luckily, there are still things they can do, and here's one from the super awesome folks at New American Dream:

Break the Bottled Water Habit, Win a Prize and Cut Your Carbon

When you want pure, healthy drinking water, you should reach for bottled water, right? Surprisingly, on neither a personal nor a global level are you making a healthy choice.


For each gallon of water bottled, two gallons are wasted; producing the plastic wastes the energy equivalent of a quarter-bottle’s worth of oil. And what’s in the bottle could just be tap water.


New American Dream and Corporate Accountability International is asking you to think about where the water in that bottle came from, where the plastic is going, and take the Break the Bottled Water Habit pledge(water.newdream.org) and drink to a healthy ecosystem.


During October, make a conscious choice to slake your thirst without drying up our planet’s resources. In addition to benefiting the environment, participants will have a chance to win a free condo for a week at a ski resort in Idaho. Visit the website (water.newdream.org) now to get started.


I can already hear the protests:

"But my tap water isn't clean!"

The truth is, at least 40 percent of bottled water is tap water anyway, and most tap water meets the EPA's standards for water quality. But if you're still concerned about the cleanliness of your tap water, you can always buy a filter.

"But bottled water is more convenient!"

Buy a reusable water bottle. Get a nice stainless steel model, or go the No Impact Man route: recycle a glass jar. Seriously, if my four-year-old and three-year-old can learn to carry a water bottle with them when they leave the house, you can do it too.

"I already reuse my water bottle. And then I recycle it."

Kudos on the reusing and recycling. The problem here is that the plastic used to make water bottles (PET) is not meant for multiple use and can lead to nasty stuff like bacteria and chemical-leaching.

"But bottled water tastes better!"

Okay, if you really like the taste of plastic, you've got me there, but at least consider that tap water costs on average .2 cents per gallon. That's 750-2700 times cheaper than bottled water.

Be a Conscious Shopper, and break your bottled water habit!

2 comments:

Richard October 25, 2008 at 12:14 PM  

Dear Conscious Shopper,
I really enjoy your Blog. I've spent some time researching healthier alternative single use water bottles for those like me who enjoy the convenience. My site links visitors to some of the best sources of BPA free bottles and accessories on the web

http://www.healthybottleshop.com

Keep up the great work.
Richard

Conscious Shopper,  October 26, 2008 at 9:07 AM  

Richard, Thanks for the link. I've been eyeing the Sigg and Kleen Kanteen water bottles for awhile now, but they're pretty expensive for kids that lose their bottle every couple of months. Right now we're re-using some juice bottles that I'm pretty sure are BPA free judging by the type of plastic they're made of. Have you found any really affordable BPA-free water bottles? I'm sure a lot of mothers like myself are on the look out for those.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Copyright

© 2008-2010 The Conscious Shopper

You're welcome to link to any posts at The Conscious Shopper, but please do not use images or content from this site without my permission. Contact me at consciousshopperblog@gmail.com.

Disclosure

I do not accept money for writing reviews, but I do accept products for review and to giveaway. When posting a review, I fully disclose any free samples received from the company. I include information provided by the company in my reviews, but all opinions about the product are my own and I will not provide a good review for any product or company just because they sent me some free samples.

Disclaimer

The ideas on this blog are my opinion and are provided for informational purposes and entertainment only. I am not a financial advisor or medical professional. Please do not misconstrue the information on this blog as advice.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP