Some Things I Already Do, Lots of Things I Can Improve

>> Saturday, September 13, 2008

I'm not a green newbie. I've been slowly going greener and greener over my whole adult life, but I'm ready now to take the plunge into the extreme green.

These are things I already do:

  • vegetarian
  • recycle
  • make my own household cleaners
  • shop at the farmers' market
  • bake my own bread
  • make my own yogurt
  • avoid individually packaged foods
  • avoid unnecessary chemicals in beauty products
  • use reusable lunch boxes
  • use CFL light bulbs
  • use cloth napkins
  • use cloth diapers
  • use re-usable bags for shopping
My dream in life is to buy 5 to 10 acres, build a passive solar house, grow all my own produce, raise chickens and goats, and live as self-sufficiently as possible. But that's the long term goal, and I'm ready to take some baby steps now.

The New American dream has a Wallet Buddy on their site that you wrap around your credit card so that every time you're tempted to buy something you can be reminded to spend your money wisely. This is their criteria:
  1. Do I need it now?
  2. Was it made sustainably?
  3. Were the workers who made it treated well?
  4. Does it have too much packaging?
  5. Is it worth the money?
Great words to follow.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Copyright

© 2008-2010 The Conscious Shopper

You're welcome to link to any posts at The Conscious Shopper, but please do not use images or content from this site without my permission. Contact me at consciousshopperblog@gmail.com.

Disclosure

I do not accept money for writing reviews, but I do accept products for review and to giveaway. When posting a review, I fully disclose any free samples received from the company. I include information provided by the company in my reviews, but all opinions about the product are my own and I will not provide a good review for any product or company just because they sent me some free samples.

Disclaimer

The ideas on this blog are my opinion and are provided for informational purposes and entertainment only. I am not a financial advisor or medical professional. Please do not misconstrue the information on this blog as advice.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP