The Dilemma

>> Tuesday, September 9, 2008

I've always been a thrifty shopper. I shop sales, I shop clearance sections. I buy generic. I'm not proud, and I love to save a buck!

But ever since we put our house in the DC suburbs up for sale and moved to Raleigh, NC, I have been extra thrifty. I've had to be. Making two house payments while waiting for our house to sell has left me pinching pennies and cutting costs any way I can.

DC was an expensive area to live in, but so far Raleigh is the winner in grocery prices. I have yet to find a good cheap grocery store around here, and everytime I've gone shopping, I've left the store feeling overwhelmed and depressed.

For the past couple years, I've been on a slow journey toward converting to all-natural, organic, and environmentally friendly products, but the penny pinching made me start questioning my principles. Was it more important to stay in the budget (even if that meant shopping at the center of grocery shopping evil, a.k.a Walmart), or was it more important to be good to people and the planet, seeking out fair trade and organic items?

Is it possible to do both?

So that's the question I'll be exploring here. Can I be a responsible consumer and still stay within my budget? Let's find out...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Copyright

© 2008-2010 The Conscious Shopper

You're welcome to link to any posts at The Conscious Shopper, but please do not use images or content from this site without my permission. Contact me at consciousshopperblog@gmail.com.

Disclosure

I do not accept money for writing reviews, but I do accept products for review and to giveaway. When posting a review, I fully disclose any free samples received from the company. I include information provided by the company in my reviews, but all opinions about the product are my own and I will not provide a good review for any product or company just because they sent me some free samples.

Disclaimer

The ideas on this blog are my opinion and are provided for informational purposes and entertainment only. I am not a financial advisor or medical professional. Please do not misconstrue the information on this blog as advice.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP